Celebrate Mardi Gras in Miami

This Tuesday is not just any normal Tuesday. It’s Fat Tuesday! That’s right, people in New Orleans are heading to the streets and experiencing the beautiful floats and rowdy parties that make Mardi Gras so well known across the globe. Growing up in New Orleans, I have been to the celebration no fewer than sixteen times and every year the parades, boomin’ bands and all around festivities never fail to disappoint. It is an experience like none other and definitely worth adding to anyone’s bucket list. However, in case you can’t make it to The Big Easy this weekend, here are some Miami attractions that celebrate Fat Tuesday just as well.

RA Sushi

RA Sushi will be hosting a “MardiRA” party on Tuesday from 7 pm till close. While RA is a Japanese restaurant, it will get customers in the Mardi Gras spirit with special discounted ($5) appetizers and classic New Orleans drinks like the Hurricane. A DJ will help recreate the lively, dance-centered, French Quarter atmosphere . Party-goers are encouraged to wear beads and costumes.

Sushi Samba

Lincoln Road’s Sushi Samba will be going back to its Brazilian roots for a Rio de Janeiro-inspired Carnaval celebration. There will be samba dancers dressed in their extravagant outfits, typical batucada drummers and a DJ. In honor of Mardi Gras, guests will also be able to order from the Carnaval menu, which includes specials like King Crab Palmito Salad and a tasty carnaval cocktail. Finally to culminate the South Beach Mardi Gras excitement, Sushi Samba will be broadcasting a live feed of Rio de Janeiro.

The Fish House

The Fish House will be holding its 5th annual Mardi Gras and Zydeco Festival. They will be bringing down 600 pounds of crawfish for a typical, New Orleans-style crawfish boil. Typical Big Easy delicacies like Cajun Jambalaya and King Cake will put your taste buds in a frenzy. Live Zydeco Music, a type of folk music that evolved from the Creole culture in Louisiana, will set the mood for the party. So get on your purple, green and gold for a typical New Orleans-style party.

Shivani Jani

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...