Celebrate Mardi Gras in Miami

This Tuesday is not just any normal Tuesday. It’s Fat Tuesday! That’s right, people in New Orleans are heading to the streets and experiencing the beautiful floats and rowdy parties that make Mardi Gras so well known across the globe. Growing up in New Orleans, I have been to the celebration no fewer than sixteen times and every year the parades, boomin’ bands and all around festivities never fail to disappoint. It is an experience like none other and definitely worth adding to anyone’s bucket list. However, in case you can’t make it to The Big Easy this weekend, here are some Miami attractions that celebrate Fat Tuesday just as well.

RA Sushi

RA Sushi will be hosting a “MardiRA” party on Tuesday from 7 pm till close. While RA is a Japanese restaurant, it will get customers in the Mardi Gras spirit with special discounted ($5) appetizers and classic New Orleans drinks like the Hurricane. A DJ will help recreate the lively, dance-centered, French Quarter atmosphere . Party-goers are encouraged to wear beads and costumes.

Sushi Samba

Lincoln Road’s Sushi Samba will be going back to its Brazilian roots for a Rio de Janeiro-inspired Carnaval celebration. There will be samba dancers dressed in their extravagant outfits, typical batucada drummers and a DJ. In honor of Mardi Gras, guests will also be able to order from the Carnaval menu, which includes specials like King Crab Palmito Salad and a tasty carnaval cocktail. Finally to culminate the South Beach Mardi Gras excitement, Sushi Samba will be broadcasting a live feed of Rio de Janeiro.

The Fish House

The Fish House will be holding its 5th annual Mardi Gras and Zydeco Festival. They will be bringing down 600 pounds of crawfish for a typical, New Orleans-style crawfish boil. Typical Big Easy delicacies like Cajun Jambalaya and King Cake will put your taste buds in a frenzy. Live Zydeco Music, a type of folk music that evolved from the Creole culture in Louisiana, will set the mood for the party. So get on your purple, green and gold for a typical New Orleans-style party.

Shivani Jani

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

The University of Miami basketball team was unable to overcome Virginia’s pack-line defense in a 59- ...

Even in signing a strong overall class, UM lost out on five defensive targets on National Signing Da ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...