UM to raise $1.6 billion by 2016

UM launched its second billion-dollar fundraising campaign Thursday night with the goal of raising $1.6 billion by 2016.

“We have many ambitions and we need the funds,” said Sergio Gonzalez, the senior vice president for UM’s Division of University Advancement.

At Thursday night’s black tie event, UM President Donna E. Shalala announced that $906 million had already been raised during the silent phase of the campaign. The remaining $695 million will be raised over the next four years.

Momentum 2 is not the largest university campaign in history – Stanford University once raised $6.2 billion.

UM’s drive, however, is still a major accomplishment for the school.  Its first Momentum campaign was the first billion-dollar campaign led by a school founded in the 20th century.  The current goal is on par with University of Florida’s recent campaign, which hopes to raise $1.5 billion.

These donations will go toward creating more scholarships and professor chairs, funding research at the Miller School of Medicine, and boosting current institutes and facilities.

“We try to match donors’ interests and affinities with programs here in the U,” Gonzalez said. “We want to give back to donors in a symbolic way, as much as possible.”

Sophomore Marisa Fiat is looking forward to the changes that will occur because of the fundraising campaign.

“It’s going to enrich campus life and bring more opportunities,” she said. “The scholarships are the best part because they are going to bring more diversity to campus.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...