UM to raise $1.6 billion by 2016

UM launched its second billion-dollar fundraising campaign Thursday night with the goal of raising $1.6 billion by 2016.

“We have many ambitions and we need the funds,” said Sergio Gonzalez, the senior vice president for UM’s Division of University Advancement.

At Thursday night’s black tie event, UM President Donna E. Shalala announced that $906 million had already been raised during the silent phase of the campaign. The remaining $695 million will be raised over the next four years.

Momentum 2 is not the largest university campaign in history – Stanford University once raised $6.2 billion.

UM’s drive, however, is still a major accomplishment for the school.  Its first Momentum campaign was the first billion-dollar campaign led by a school founded in the 20th century.  The current goal is on par with University of Florida’s recent campaign, which hopes to raise $1.5 billion.

These donations will go toward creating more scholarships and professor chairs, funding research at the Miller School of Medicine, and boosting current institutes and facilities.

“We try to match donors’ interests and affinities with programs here in the U,” Gonzalez said. “We want to give back to donors in a symbolic way, as much as possible.”

Sophomore Marisa Fiat is looking forward to the changes that will occur because of the fundraising campaign.

“It’s going to enrich campus life and bring more opportunities,” she said. “The scholarships are the best part because they are going to bring more diversity to campus.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...