UM is on the path to national prominence

Last time around, the University of Miami Momentum fundraising campaign garnered $1.4 billion in donations. This time around, Momentum 2 is following up with a goal of $1.6 billion in donations to enhance the quality of education and student life here at UM.

This is a clear affirmation of the direction in which the university is heading towards. We understand how much room we have to grow. We need to continue setting the foundations in order to grow. We want these foundations to make us never settle for anything but the best.

This past fall, UM was ranked No. 38 nationally by U.S. News & World Report. There is much more room for growth, as there are 37 colleges to move above in the rankings. Those 37 should be concerned, as we are coming and looking for more.

Much of the money from the donations will be planned for the medical school, science facilities, scholarships and dorms. These are the exact foundations that the university must center on in order for growth.

Medicine and science are innovative fields that influence and benefit society, and strengthening the university research in these areas is imperative. Scholarships change student lives by opening doors that are otherwise burdensome to open.

Financial barriers should not hinder students from contributing to the vibrant campus of UM. Dorms are integral to student quality of life. They enhance the college experience as they are centered amidst campus life.

The Momentum 2 campaign will allow the foundations to be set in order for UM to never settle for anything but the best. President Donna E. Shalala said, “The real importance of it is it will firmly establish us in the top ranks of American universities.”

No other university can match our innovative spirit and progressive outlook. This breakthrough campaign will lead UM along the right path to national prominence. Expectations are set high.

Raymond La is a freshman majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...