UM is on the path to national prominence

Last time around, the University of Miami Momentum fundraising campaign garnered $1.4 billion in donations. This time around, Momentum 2 is following up with a goal of $1.6 billion in donations to enhance the quality of education and student life here at UM.

This is a clear affirmation of the direction in which the university is heading towards. We understand how much room we have to grow. We need to continue setting the foundations in order to grow. We want these foundations to make us never settle for anything but the best.

This past fall, UM was ranked No. 38 nationally by U.S. News & World Report. There is much more room for growth, as there are 37 colleges to move above in the rankings. Those 37 should be concerned, as we are coming and looking for more.

Much of the money from the donations will be planned for the medical school, science facilities, scholarships and dorms. These are the exact foundations that the university must center on in order for growth.

Medicine and science are innovative fields that influence and benefit society, and strengthening the university research in these areas is imperative. Scholarships change student lives by opening doors that are otherwise burdensome to open.

Financial barriers should not hinder students from contributing to the vibrant campus of UM. Dorms are integral to student quality of life. They enhance the college experience as they are centered amidst campus life.

The Momentum 2 campaign will allow the foundations to be set in order for UM to never settle for anything but the best. President Donna E. Shalala said, “The real importance of it is it will firmly establish us in the top ranks of American universities.”

No other university can match our innovative spirit and progressive outlook. This breakthrough campaign will lead UM along the right path to national prominence. Expectations are set high.

Raymond La is a freshman majoring in microbiology.

About Author

Raymond La

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...