Basketball, Sports

Miami tied with Duke atop ACC after win

In Miami’s second-to-last game at the BankUnited Center this season, the sixth-ranked Canes beat archrival Florida State 67-60 to extend their home winning streak to 39, the second-longest active streak in the nation.

Just as it has been so many times this season, it was the Canes’ senior guards Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams that stepped up when coach Katie Meier needed them most. They combined for 47 points with 23 and 24, respectively, to help Meier earn her 200th career victory as a coach.

Coming off their first ever win at North Carolina State, the Canes (24-3, 13-1 ACC) were fired up to play their nemesis for the second and final time this season. But Florida State (13-15, 5-9 ACC) was able to keep the game close throughout the first half by taking advantage of their length and size.

Forward Natasha Howard, who scored 13 points in the first half, gave the Canes all kinds of trouble and accounted for a big portion of the Seminoles’ 22 first-half points in the paint.

After Miami’s Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson picked up two fouls in the span of 10 seconds early on and was consequently restricted to just four minutes of play in the first half, the Canes struggled to defend Florida State’s bigger post players down low.

“We knew we were going to get exposed by Florida State,” Meier said. “Obviously, it was a little bit more of an exposure when Pepper couldn’t play many minutes at all and that really hurt us, because you could see down the stretch there when Pepper was in, our defensive schemes we were a lot more efficient and smart, and when she was out we struggled.”

After being held to a mediocre 40.6-percent shooting performance in the first half, Miami came out swinging in the second by going on an 8-2 run. Florida State hung tough for most of the second half, however, and even tied the game at 57 with 5:21 left in the contest.

Johnson and Williams took control of the game late, scoring the Canes’ final 10 points to secure the win.

Another notable result from this game: With No. 5 Duke losing to No. 7 Maryland, the Canes have climbed into a tie at the top of the ACC standings with the Blue Devils.

Miami travels to Durham, N.C. to play Duke in a showdown of conference juggernauts this Friday.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...