Libraries expand digital collection

Searching for a new book to read? The University of Miami’s libraries recently added 200 million e-books to their digital collection.

The Virtual Library program has been an ongoing, collaborative effort between the libraries and the schools and colleges  that is dedicated to upgrading and facilitating access to virtual information.

“It is fantastic and not to mention convenient for everyone to have instant and unlimited access to a library book,” junior Janaki Kannan said.

William Walker, the dean of the university library system, said the virtual library has been growing over the past five years.

“Each year, we have continued to make more e-content available via increasingly powerful search systems,” he said.

Mitsunori Ogihara, associate dean for Digital Library Innovation, is leading the virtual library program.

He wants to develop virtual bookshelves or stacks where students can still get the experience of traditional library, only with more intricate search browsing to help them find books.

Ogihara’s main priority is to respond student and faculty needs.

“If that kind of thing is made possible, the using of the library could be more interesting, more fun and more effective,” he said.

The libraries recently established an partnership with the College of Arts and Sciences in order to improve their own digital capabilities.

“Our partnership with the College of Arts and Sciences will help us to augment our efforts in digital scholarship, or the collaborative creation of new digital resources with faculty and students,” said Kyle Rimkus, head of the department of digital scholarship and programs.

Many library resources are already on the web, including journals, thematic exihibtions and student thesises.

Rimkus hopes to eventually provide immediate, around-the-clock access to their resources on the technological device of choice.

“It would be so relieving to have help,” said junior Laken Garcia, a motion pictures major. “I have spent too much time digging through the stacks of books in the Richter Library unsuccessfully.”

Karla Durango

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...