Libraries expand digital collection

Searching for a new book to read? The University of Miami’s libraries recently added 200 million e-books to their digital collection.

The Virtual Library program has been an ongoing, collaborative effort between the libraries and the schools and colleges  that is dedicated to upgrading and facilitating access to virtual information.

“It is fantastic and not to mention convenient for everyone to have instant and unlimited access to a library book,” junior Janaki Kannan said.

William Walker, the dean of the university library system, said the virtual library has been growing over the past five years.

“Each year, we have continued to make more e-content available via increasingly powerful search systems,” he said.

Mitsunori Ogihara, associate dean for Digital Library Innovation, is leading the virtual library program.

He wants to develop virtual bookshelves or stacks where students can still get the experience of traditional library, only with more intricate search browsing to help them find books.

Ogihara’s main priority is to respond student and faculty needs.

“If that kind of thing is made possible, the using of the library could be more interesting, more fun and more effective,” he said.

The libraries recently established an partnership with the College of Arts and Sciences in order to improve their own digital capabilities.

“Our partnership with the College of Arts and Sciences will help us to augment our efforts in digital scholarship, or the collaborative creation of new digital resources with faculty and students,” said Kyle Rimkus, head of the department of digital scholarship and programs.

Many library resources are already on the web, including journals, thematic exihibtions and student thesises.

Rimkus hopes to eventually provide immediate, around-the-clock access to their resources on the technological device of choice.

“It would be so relieving to have help,” said junior Laken Garcia, a motion pictures major. “I have spent too much time digging through the stacks of books in the Richter Library unsuccessfully.”

Karla Durango

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...