2/16 News Briefs

Black Awareness Month

Feb. 16- A lecture titled “Black Identity, Perpetually Under Protection” given by guest speaker Professor Dexter Gordon will be held at the Newman Alumni Center at 6:30 pm.

Feb. 21- The 50th Anniversary of De-Segregation at UM will be commemorated at the Gusman Concert Hall at 7:45 p.m. with guest speaker Cornell West.

Feb. 29- BAM will present a variety of Gospel performances to improve mind, body and spirit. “Gospel Explosion: Moving on Up” will be held at the School of Communication Courtyard at 7:30 p.m.

RSMAS

Feb. 16, at the Ungar Building room 23D from 5-6:15 p.m., RSMAS Marine Affairs will host a discussion about the impacts on coral reefs and explore the benefits of underwater mosaics to document anthropogenic change and to suggest boundaries for and improvements to Marine Protected Areas. For more information, contact Kasey Cantwell, teaching assistant in marine Geology and geophysics, at k.cantwell@umiami.edu.

CPR Class

At the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, from noon to 2 p.m., Heart Saver CPR with AED will teach CPR techniques and relief for choking in adults, children and infants. Participants will learn to use an Automated External Defibrillator. The cost is $30 for student members, $35 for non-student members and $40 non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite in the second floor of the Wellness Center.

SG Voting

From Feb. 20-22, pass by the UC Breezeway to vote for next year’s Student Government candidates. The first ticket is “Inspired by U” with junior Nawara Alawa running for president, junior Caitlin Giles for vice president and junior Kenny Esman for treasurer. The second is “Think B.I.G.” with junior Parker Barnett for president, junior Emily Stanch for vice president and junior Ian Bai for treasurer. For more information, visit the tickets’ websites, inspiredbyu.org and votebig2012.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...