2/16 News Briefs

Black Awareness Month

Feb. 16- A lecture titled “Black Identity, Perpetually Under Protection” given by guest speaker Professor Dexter Gordon will be held at the Newman Alumni Center at 6:30 pm.

Feb. 21- The 50th Anniversary of De-Segregation at UM will be commemorated at the Gusman Concert Hall at 7:45 p.m. with guest speaker Cornell West.

Feb. 29- BAM will present a variety of Gospel performances to improve mind, body and spirit. “Gospel Explosion: Moving on Up” will be held at the School of Communication Courtyard at 7:30 p.m.

RSMAS

Feb. 16, at the Ungar Building room 23D from 5-6:15 p.m., RSMAS Marine Affairs will host a discussion about the impacts on coral reefs and explore the benefits of underwater mosaics to document anthropogenic change and to suggest boundaries for and improvements to Marine Protected Areas. For more information, contact Kasey Cantwell, teaching assistant in marine Geology and geophysics, at k.cantwell@umiami.edu.

CPR Class

At the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, from noon to 2 p.m., Heart Saver CPR with AED will teach CPR techniques and relief for choking in adults, children and infants. Participants will learn to use an Automated External Defibrillator. The cost is $30 for student members, $35 for non-student members and $40 non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite in the second floor of the Wellness Center.

SG Voting

From Feb. 20-22, pass by the UC Breezeway to vote for next year’s Student Government candidates. The first ticket is “Inspired by U” with junior Nawara Alawa running for president, junior Caitlin Giles for vice president and junior Kenny Esman for treasurer. The second is “Think B.I.G.” with junior Parker Barnett for president, junior Emily Stanch for vice president and junior Ian Bai for treasurer. For more information, visit the tickets’ websites, inspiredbyu.org and votebig2012.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

A sobering reminder came watching the Golden State Warriors slice through the NBA to a championship ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

The Miami women's swimming & diving program was among those recognized by the College Swimm ...

Five members of the University of Miami track and field program will compete against their country ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Dejan Vasiljevic is set to compete for Australia ...

Nine Hurricanes were named to Athlon Sports Preseason All-ACC Teams, including a conference-leading ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...