2/16 News Briefs

Black Awareness Month

Feb. 16- A lecture titled “Black Identity, Perpetually Under Protection” given by guest speaker Professor Dexter Gordon will be held at the Newman Alumni Center at 6:30 pm.

Feb. 21- The 50th Anniversary of De-Segregation at UM will be commemorated at the Gusman Concert Hall at 7:45 p.m. with guest speaker Cornell West.

Feb. 29- BAM will present a variety of Gospel performances to improve mind, body and spirit. “Gospel Explosion: Moving on Up” will be held at the School of Communication Courtyard at 7:30 p.m.

RSMAS

Feb. 16, at the Ungar Building room 23D from 5-6:15 p.m., RSMAS Marine Affairs will host a discussion about the impacts on coral reefs and explore the benefits of underwater mosaics to document anthropogenic change and to suggest boundaries for and improvements to Marine Protected Areas. For more information, contact Kasey Cantwell, teaching assistant in marine Geology and geophysics, at k.cantwell@umiami.edu.

CPR Class

At the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, from noon to 2 p.m., Heart Saver CPR with AED will teach CPR techniques and relief for choking in adults, children and infants. Participants will learn to use an Automated External Defibrillator. The cost is $30 for student members, $35 for non-student members and $40 non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite in the second floor of the Wellness Center.

SG Voting

From Feb. 20-22, pass by the UC Breezeway to vote for next year’s Student Government candidates. The first ticket is “Inspired by U” with junior Nawara Alawa running for president, junior Caitlin Giles for vice president and junior Kenny Esman for treasurer. The second is “Think B.I.G.” with junior Parker Barnett for president, junior Emily Stanch for vice president and junior Ian Bai for treasurer. For more information, visit the tickets’ websites, inspiredbyu.org and votebig2012.com.

About Author

Alexander Gonzalez Assistant Editor

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...