2/16 News Briefs

Black Awareness Month

Feb. 16- A lecture titled “Black Identity, Perpetually Under Protection” given by guest speaker Professor Dexter Gordon will be held at the Newman Alumni Center at 6:30 pm.

Feb. 21- The 50th Anniversary of De-Segregation at UM will be commemorated at the Gusman Concert Hall at 7:45 p.m. with guest speaker Cornell West.

Feb. 29- BAM will present a variety of Gospel performances to improve mind, body and spirit. “Gospel Explosion: Moving on Up” will be held at the School of Communication Courtyard at 7:30 p.m.

RSMAS

Feb. 16, at the Ungar Building room 23D from 5-6:15 p.m., RSMAS Marine Affairs will host a discussion about the impacts on coral reefs and explore the benefits of underwater mosaics to document anthropogenic change and to suggest boundaries for and improvements to Marine Protected Areas. For more information, contact Kasey Cantwell, teaching assistant in marine Geology and geophysics, at k.cantwell@umiami.edu.

CPR Class

At the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, from noon to 2 p.m., Heart Saver CPR with AED will teach CPR techniques and relief for choking in adults, children and infants. Participants will learn to use an Automated External Defibrillator. The cost is $30 for student members, $35 for non-student members and $40 non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite in the second floor of the Wellness Center.

SG Voting

From Feb. 20-22, pass by the UC Breezeway to vote for next year’s Student Government candidates. The first ticket is “Inspired by U” with junior Nawara Alawa running for president, junior Caitlin Giles for vice president and junior Kenny Esman for treasurer. The second is “Think B.I.G.” with junior Parker Barnett for president, junior Emily Stanch for vice president and junior Ian Bai for treasurer. For more information, visit the tickets’ websites, inspiredbyu.org and votebig2012.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor