Ticket distribution for UM events needs work

The college experience is about both learning and making meaningful memories. This includes the opportunity to watch Billy Joel perform at the BankUnited Center in March.

So why is it that when we have a worthwhile musician come to campus, we’re forced to lose valuable sleep and study hours, or even miss class?

When I heard that Billy Joel was coming to UM, my immediate reaction was excitement.

I was glad I had the opportunity to see an artist a bit more legendary than Ludacris. I didn’t think about the long line that would grace the walkway like the one before Homecoming last semester when tickets for the hip-hop star were made available.

Reality hit me Wednesday morning when I bumped into several friends in line who’d been standing for an hour and were only halfway through.

Most students don’t have time to wait for a concert ticket in a two-hour line that runs from the UC Ticketmaster window to the end of the farmers market. Students also shouldn’t have to wait in such lines when there seem to be other logical options.

We live in the age of the Internet. I think it’s time we take advantage of it.

Why not start a ticket distribution system online?

Students can reserve their free ticket on a website like EventBrite, print out a receipt, and use their Cane Cards and receipts to pick up the actual ticket at the ticket window.

With the Billy Joel event still a few weeks away, students would have had enough time to pick up their tickets within the next week, perhaps, with no ridiculous lines or interruptions of our daily lives involved.

It’s fair. It’s easy. I hope to see changes in ticketing happen for the next big on-campus event.

Lyssa Goldberg is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...