Students may be offered fifth year free of tuition to pursue passion

Both tickets for Student Government (SG) Executive Board want to give students the option to attend the university for a fifth year free.

Although the Inspired by U ticket calls the scholarship “Take 5” and Think B.I.G. calls it “Plus 1,” both plans are modeled after the Take 5 Scholars Program in place at the University of Rochester.

At Rochester, students can apply for an additional semester or year, free of academic tuition. The application goes to a review board of faculty members, deans, and an actual student who is a current Take 5 Scholars.

“Students are the best judges of what is best for the program,” said Parker Barnett, presidential candidate on the Think B.I.G. ticket.

The fifth year can be used to study abroad or explore a new major or minor, but should not be used for personal gain. Any student who has completed at least one semester at the university and has at least one full semester left is eligible to apply. These degrees will appear on a student’s transcript and will count toward their GPA.

The scholarship will only cover tuition and not the student activities fee, room and board, and textbooks.

“When this idea was pitched to us, we asked around about it and the idea seems to be well liked by all students we have spoken to,” said Nawara Alawa, presidential candidate on the Inspired by U ticket.

At Rochester, Take Five is not an opportunity to earn additional credentials, but is a chance for students to “indulge in studying a topic of interest, to learn for the sake of learning, without the concern that it will make him or her a better job or graduate school applicant,” according to their website.

“I see a student who has a passion, who likes to take control of their education, who takes in and appreciates every second they have here at this university and realizes it’s not enough,” Alawa said.

She hopes to start off with a pilot group of about 20 students to transition this program to the university.

Both Alawa and Barnett said that they hope the program could start with the fall 2012 semester, but it depends on how long it takes for all details to be approved.

“We want to get this as fast as possible but we don’t want to cut corners,” Barnett said.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...