Students may be offered fifth year free of tuition to pursue passion

Both tickets for Student Government (SG) Executive Board want to give students the option to attend the university for a fifth year free.

Although the Inspired by U ticket calls the scholarship “Take 5” and Think B.I.G. calls it “Plus 1,” both plans are modeled after the Take 5 Scholars Program in place at the University of Rochester.

At Rochester, students can apply for an additional semester or year, free of academic tuition. The application goes to a review board of faculty members, deans, and an actual student who is a current Take 5 Scholars.

“Students are the best judges of what is best for the program,” said Parker Barnett, presidential candidate on the Think B.I.G. ticket.

The fifth year can be used to study abroad or explore a new major or minor, but should not be used for personal gain. Any student who has completed at least one semester at the university and has at least one full semester left is eligible to apply. These degrees will appear on a student’s transcript and will count toward their GPA.

The scholarship will only cover tuition and not the student activities fee, room and board, and textbooks.

“When this idea was pitched to us, we asked around about it and the idea seems to be well liked by all students we have spoken to,” said Nawara Alawa, presidential candidate on the Inspired by U ticket.

At Rochester, Take Five is not an opportunity to earn additional credentials, but is a chance for students to “indulge in studying a topic of interest, to learn for the sake of learning, without the concern that it will make him or her a better job or graduate school applicant,” according to their website.

“I see a student who has a passion, who likes to take control of their education, who takes in and appreciates every second they have here at this university and realizes it’s not enough,” Alawa said.

She hopes to start off with a pilot group of about 20 students to transition this program to the university.

Both Alawa and Barnett said that they hope the program could start with the fall 2012 semester, but it depends on how long it takes for all details to be approved.

“We want to get this as fast as possible but we don’t want to cut corners,” Barnett said.

About Author

Lyssa Goldberg Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...