Students may be offered fifth year free of tuition to pursue passion

Both tickets for Student Government (SG) Executive Board want to give students the option to attend the university for a fifth year free.

Although the Inspired by U ticket calls the scholarship “Take 5” and Think B.I.G. calls it “Plus 1,” both plans are modeled after the Take 5 Scholars Program in place at the University of Rochester.

At Rochester, students can apply for an additional semester or year, free of academic tuition. The application goes to a review board of faculty members, deans, and an actual student who is a current Take 5 Scholars.

“Students are the best judges of what is best for the program,” said Parker Barnett, presidential candidate on the Think B.I.G. ticket.

The fifth year can be used to study abroad or explore a new major or minor, but should not be used for personal gain. Any student who has completed at least one semester at the university and has at least one full semester left is eligible to apply. These degrees will appear on a student’s transcript and will count toward their GPA.

The scholarship will only cover tuition and not the student activities fee, room and board, and textbooks.

“When this idea was pitched to us, we asked around about it and the idea seems to be well liked by all students we have spoken to,” said Nawara Alawa, presidential candidate on the Inspired by U ticket.

At Rochester, Take Five is not an opportunity to earn additional credentials, but is a chance for students to “indulge in studying a topic of interest, to learn for the sake of learning, without the concern that it will make him or her a better job or graduate school applicant,” according to their website.

“I see a student who has a passion, who likes to take control of their education, who takes in and appreciates every second they have here at this university and realizes it’s not enough,” Alawa said.

She hopes to start off with a pilot group of about 20 students to transition this program to the university.

Both Alawa and Barnett said that they hope the program could start with the fall 2012 semester, but it depends on how long it takes for all details to be approved.

“We want to get this as fast as possible but we don’t want to cut corners,” Barnett said.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...