Staff Editorial 2/16: Free fifth year for the love of learning

Many students have a passion they have always dreamed of pursuing, but don’t have the time, money or resources to do so. This leaves many college students feeling academically unsatisfied upon graduation.

But what if the University of Miami implemented a program where students would be able to attend the university for a fifth year, free of charge, to pursue another major for the love of learning?

The two tickets running for next year’s Student Government executive board, “Inspired by U” and “Think B.I.G.,” have highlighted this as an initiative in their platforms.

And we agree with the candidates’ reasons behind the idea. Sometimes, college students spend their four years studying for a major (or two) simply because it will land them a good paying job. But what about the civil engineering student who loves to sing?

If this initiative were to be successfully implemented next year, it would begin as a pilot program for a handful of students who would have to complete an application process and appear before a board before being accepted.

For students who are accepted into the fifth-year program, the extra courses needed will be weaved into their regular class schedules. This will give students ample time to complete their original degrees of choice and an additional major or minor.

UM has always stood for academic excellence, success and diversity, but so many other universities stand for the same thing. We, as students who take pride in being a Cane, want something that will really set us apart from other schools.

The five-year program will enhance the great qualities of our university. For instance, we’re a diverse student body with diverse interests – this program will fit right in.

Not to mention, UM is nationally recognized and is ranked No. 38 in the country by U.S. News & World Report. This is the perfect time to launch a program that would truly set our education apart and raise the bar for current and future Hurricanes.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Staff Editorial 2/16: Free fifth year for the love of learning”

1. Mr. Facts says:

Mr. Facts, my point is not to say that it was an “original” idea.. there is actually no initiatives on either ticket that are completely original… they all have precedent in other universities. My point is one ticket had the idea to bring that to UM since day 1 while the other ticket literally just added it to their platform a couple of days ago… My problem is that #1 there is no need for that; they both have different yet pretty awesome initiatives and should focus on that rather than imitating others’ and that #2 the Miami Hurricane doesn’t report these events and makes it seem like they were both on board for this from the beginning… just not true.

2. proofread part 2 says:

kinds of things*

3. PROOFREAD THIS! says:

First of all, I am not associated with Think BIG nor am I part of their campaign- I just feel like they’ve run a pretty clean campaign despite the kind things that have happened to them so I’m going to stick up for them. Quite frankly, it’s just a student government campaign. Both teams want to improve the school in their own way and that’s what voters should see– two teams who present their ideas to the students and then they vote… at the end of the day, the school is still going to improve in one way or another, regardless of who’s elected. It should not be cutthroat or offensive.. there is no need for that. Therefore, the only thing I should focus on is showing the difference between two tickets running a fair and clean election (like the previous year’s) and having the dirty campaigning that Inspired by U has undertaken and then have the audacity to go and steal the other ticket’s idea… come on it’s a student government election for god’s sake. And then the Miami Hurricane, whose purpose is to provide FACTS to the students, actually goes and endorses this kind of behavior instead of just maintaining a neutral stance and reporting events HOW THEY ACTUALLY HAPPEN.. shows a lot about our university.

Oh, and if you think what I am saying is untrue, then you should talk to YOUR campaign.

4. Highlighting Facts says:

Look into the origins of this idea to find out where this initiative all started. Clue: Not either of the tickets. Hint: Another university already has this program in place so the notion that this is an “original” idea is simply not true.

5. Highlighting Arrogance says:

^^ It’s highlighting, not higlighting. Were you the one who proofread the Think BIG palmcards too?

Why don’t you focus on your own campaign instead of anonymously mudslinging another one?

6. Higlighting Bias says:

The Miami Hurricane does understand that this was Think BIG’s initiative and then Inspired by U stole it, correct?

Because simply saying that “The two tickets running for next year’s Student Government executive board, “Inspired by U” and “Think B.I.G.,” have highlighted this as an initiative in their platforms.” makes it seem like it was both their ideas. IT WAS DEFINITELY NOT. The Miami Hurricane, “the student newspaper of the University of Miami”, should report facts to the student body and not fluff pieces like this that favor the same ticket they just endorsed (Inspired by U)

Quite frankly, the events that have transpired during this campaign and the hurricane’s coverage or lack thereof.. is quite disturbing.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...