Staff Editorial 2/13: ‘Inspired by U’ shows promise

8

For the past two years, Student Government (SG) has excelled in fulfilling its mission of improving the quality of the college experience at UM. We don’t think next year should be any different.

Therefore, in this year’s race for SG executive board, the editorial staff of The Miami Hurricane endorses the “Inspired by U” ticket, a collection of three stellar candidates – and an impressive support system of student leaders – that exude ambition, confidence and experience.

“Inspired by U” offers the most interesting and promising initiatives including the development of centralized internship access, which lists opportunities available inside and outside of Coral Gables  for all majors; a pilot program for gender neutral housing in the University Village; and the monthly UBazaar, which, similar to a flea market, will bring local vendors to campus and possibly a barber.

The team behind “Inspired by U” has years of experience in SG, but that has not been their only involvement. Its three candidates are involved in on-campus organizations like the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, Greek life and Honor Council. The organizations that they are involved in may seem typical because the groups are the largest and most commonly joined by students wanting to get involved. But what makes “Inspired by U” unique is that their focus is not on leading students as three individuals. Instead, the team’s goal is to lead Student Government and the UM community with initiatives completely inspired by students’ opinions, which are represented by a team of student leaders from every corner of campus.

Even without the network of about 50 student leaders supporting them in their campaign, “Inspired by U” has a level of leadership experience that will allow them to single-handedly run the SG executive board next year. With passion and commitment in tow, they will make a difference that students can witness and appreciate. Also, because of their leadership experience, the candidates have built the relationships needed with the faculty and staff members that can help facilitate their ideas. Not to mention, all three have spent three years each in Student Government and know the logistics of meeting students’ needs and transforming their wishes into a reality.

But the best part about “Inspired by U” is that the candidates care about tradition. First, the team will follow the footsteps of the past two elected administrations (“UFirst” and “Taking U Forward”), and this is something that benefits their campaign. “Inspired by U” knows what has and hasn’t worked in the past. The formula has worked these past two years. Why fix something that isn’t broken? The team is influenced by precedence and is even tackling unfinished business from this year’s administration, like improving the parking system and working on offering take-out dining and a dessert option on campus.

The ticket also cares about UM tradition, an aspect of campus life that is often forgotten. Similar to “Taking U Forward,” “Inspired by U” wants to fortify current Hurricane traditions, while also establishing new ones. With a spirited and unified campus working toward common goals of improvement, Student Government can truly meet the needs of its constituents.

If elected, “Inspired by U” will not only meet the standards that have been set by the two previous SG executive boards, they will surpass them.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Share.

About Author

8 Comments

1. JUST DON'T.... BE A FOOL on

If you do not have any public speaking skills*

“If you have no public speaking skills” just sounds retarded… much like the platforms of the Inspired by U ticket.

2. If you have no public speaking skills, you can’t successfully represent a school (i.e., B.I.G.).

3. Hey, biased, ever seen the real world, where newspapers endorse candidates? Ever seen a grammar class either?

4. I think it is absurd that a school newspaper, that should be reporting facts and hyping the students of UM, would endorse one platform over another. Instead of writing an article about the necessity of voting next week, and the importance of making a personal decision based upon who YOU think should be in charge, the newspaper decides to take a position and convince others to do so as well. This is the least impartial and immoral article that could be written in the midst of an election for student body present, and The Miami Hurricane should realize that using the popular clout that they receive and using the resources given to them by this university, they should be honest, upfront, and impartial, and allow all students to vote, instead of trying to sell a particular ticket. The article that discusses the fifth year free option is impartial and fair, follow this model.

5. Inspired by U is easily the biggest sham of a ticket.
    They have no innovative ideas, and are basically recycling old platforms that are used to garner votes but are either not feasible or are useless ideas created to fill up a palm card.

Examples:

-Parking Reform: We’ve been there, done that. Parking was revised last year, and according to the Director of Parking and Transportation, they already planned on tinkering with the current system and fixing some things they have gotten complaints about. We don’t need this ticket to see that reform. Our sheer volume of calls and emails to the department have caused them to take a look at reform themselves.

-Updating Course Registration: They just revised this not too long ago either and it works very well. Again, this is a useless idea that is not necessary and used as a filler.

-Change General Ed Requirements: No matter how tedious Gen Ed classes may be, they serve an important purpose in our education. What kind of graduate would we be sending into the workforce and represent our school that was not required to take English, Math, Science? Our collegiate education should follow a very simple rule: “Know something about everything (Gen Ed), and everything about something (major)”.

-And my personal favorite: Take-Out Dining. Every year we hear this: “This administration will bring you a take-out dining option for your meal plan.” This NEVER happens. It’s not feasible and it is ALWAYS used by one ticket or another to win votes.

-And I agree with The Samaritan above, things like “UBazaar” and a “Spring BBQ” are nice ideas but we have seen these before. Our campus has events all the time (anyone of you that went to the Chinese New Year celebration on the patio know) the problem is not the events, it’s publicizing them and this job should be left up to Hurricane Production and Category 5 working together.

Finally, I hope to leave you with a thoughtful analysis of The Inspired by U ticket. Don’t be fooled by these people. They have no true innovating ideas. I hope The Miami Hurricane reads this and provides more thorough research into the tickets and present the students with FACTS before they just go ahead and endorse their friends.

I hope for the sake of our student body that they realize The Miami Hurricane left half of the title off this article. It should read Staff Editorial: Inspired By U shows promise of doing nothing =)
    My only wish is that the students not let themselves be influenced so easily by crappy journalism

6. Just as a blanket statement that applies to most SG tickets (both past and present), palm cards are usually just some highlights or general categories of what each team hopes to accomplish.

Check out the teams’ websites, Facebook pages, etc. to get a better understanding of what each team is hoping to accomplish next year. You can get each ticket’s website from the ‘Election Center’ right on Student Government’s website.

This week, there will be a lot of campaigning on campus – so talking to the people handing out the palm cards will help explain in a lot more detail what each platform actually means.

7. Surprised Samaritan on

I’m surprised to read this by the Hurricane. I don’t know who I’m voting for yet, but Inspired by U is my least favorite. According to their palm card, they don’t really have anything worthy on their agenda. So even if what we have now is good, I think that they need a lot of work.

1. Let’s be honest, the point of Gen Ed requirements are to get a well-rounded education. If people can decide on their own, they’re only going to take classes that have to do with their major or things that they already know about. As much as I hate math, it’s important for me to have basic math knowledge in life.

2. Parking and Shuttle (yawn). We’ve revised this. People who think UM has parking issues are just lazy. There’s always hundreds of spots open in Ponce Parking Garage.

3. UBazaar, Spring BBQ… done, done, done. Every group on campus has BBQs and festivals and fairs and dinners and everything else imaginable. Leave it to Hurricane Productions, they do it best. Campus is just way over-programmed. Enough said.