Ways to shake up your Valentine’s Day

Senior Megan Hartman and sophomore Jonathan Fernandez pose on the walkway to the library inspired by the famous Victory in Japan taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on August 14, 1945. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Valentine’s Day is generally formulaic: flowers, chocolate, Hallmark cards and an expensive dinner. It can be fun once or twice, but after a while the routine gets stale.  So this year, try something different and check out The Miami Hurrican’s picks for ways to spend your romantic day.

1. Picnic in Wynwood Walls

Picnics are great for broke college kids, but they are also predictable. To shake things up, take your sweetheart up to Wynwood Walls. The urban park is decorated with graffiti murals, which debuted at Art Basel in 2009. Since then, shops and galleries have opened up. If you don’t feel like packing your own food, Wynwood Kitchen and Bar is located right next door.

2528 NW 2nd Ave.

2. Everglades stargazing

Nothing is more romantic than laying back and watching the stars. But with the glare of Miami’s city lights shooting up at the sky, it’s impossible to see more than a few stars on a good night. But if you drive out west to the Everglades, you’ll see nothing but stars. Pack a blanket, some wine, lay on the hood of the car and enjoy the show.

3. Soya e Pomodoro

If the romantic in you can’t help but crave the traditional romantic dinner, why not try a different restaurant? Rather than hitting the traditional five-star, kill-your-pocket South Beach restaurant, check out this tiny Italian restaurant nestled in Downtown. Built inside an abandoned theater, everything in Soya e Pomodoro  feels real. The architecture is amazing, the furniture is cute and the food is as fresh as it comes.

120 NE 1st St.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...