Ways to shake up your Valentine’s Day

Senior Megan Hartman and sophomore Jonathan Fernandez pose on the walkway to the library inspired by the famous Victory in Japan taken by Alfred Eisenstaedt on August 14, 1945. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Valentine’s Day is generally formulaic: flowers, chocolate, Hallmark cards and an expensive dinner. It can be fun once or twice, but after a while the routine gets stale.  So this year, try something different and check out The Miami Hurrican’s picks for ways to spend your romantic day.

1. Picnic in Wynwood Walls

Picnics are great for broke college kids, but they are also predictable. To shake things up, take your sweetheart up to Wynwood Walls. The urban park is decorated with graffiti murals, which debuted at Art Basel in 2009. Since then, shops and galleries have opened up. If you don’t feel like packing your own food, Wynwood Kitchen and Bar is located right next door.

2528 NW 2nd Ave.

2. Everglades stargazing

Nothing is more romantic than laying back and watching the stars. But with the glare of Miami’s city lights shooting up at the sky, it’s impossible to see more than a few stars on a good night. But if you drive out west to the Everglades, you’ll see nothing but stars. Pack a blanket, some wine, lay on the hood of the car and enjoy the show.

3. Soya e Pomodoro

If the romantic in you can’t help but crave the traditional romantic dinner, why not try a different restaurant? Rather than hitting the traditional five-star, kill-your-pocket South Beach restaurant, check out this tiny Italian restaurant nestled in Downtown. Built inside an abandoned theater, everything in Soya e Pomodoro  feels real. The architecture is amazing, the furniture is cute and the food is as fresh as it comes.

120 NE 1st St.

About Author

Margaux Herrera EDGE Editor

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...