Two referenda to appear on ballot

Two referenda will be on the ballot this spring, requesting funding for both Category 5 and Distraction magazine, according to SG Press Secretary Mike Piacentino.

Each group had to gather 500 signatures before the question to raise the student activity fee could be brought before the student body. The minimal increases multiplied by nearly 10,000 undergraduate students could account for a large portion of funding.

Category 5’s referendum requests a 75-cent increase to the fee per semester. This would fund more pep rallies, events and prizes, Category 5 Vice Chair Javier Hernandez said. Hurricane Force and the annual away trip to a football game would also be funded by the increase, Category 5 Special Events Chair Doug Aguililla said.

Category 5 is the spirit programming committee that works as a branch of SG. It organizes Hurricane Force, the official student group for Miami athletics, to increase awareness and spirit at sporting events.

“Last year Category 5 had a very successful year,” Aguililla said. “We had an away trip to Ohio State, we had our first night pep rallies and we launched Hurricane Force.”

These programs left Category 5 with a significant deficit in its budget, said Aguililla, who also said the funding will help make away trips as affordable as possible for students.

“Being able to continue to put on these sorts of programs we feel is an important part of what we do as an organization, as well as insuring that Hurricane Force can remain an effective organization,” he said.

Both Hernandez and Aguililla, the sponsors of the referendum, were not able to attend the mandatory candidates and referenda meeting last Wednesday night, Aguililla said.

However, attendance at the meeting is one of three requirements for referenda to be approved and placed on the ballot, according to Piacentino.

“We did have a Category 5 representative there, and we have spoken with SG advisor Brian Orefice,” Aguililla said. “He has told us that we have sufficiently satisfied the referenda requirements.”

Distraction magazine, which tried but failed last year to get its referendum passed, is once again seeking student approval for an increase to the student activity fee.

The $1 increase per semester will mainly help Distraction with printing costs, Executive Editor Ashley Brozic said. She and Editor-in-Chief Jonathan Borge sponsored the referendum.

“With this funding we can assure that every student has access to a copy, without ever having to open their wallets,” Brozic said.

Distraction’s referendum was shot down by a small margin in 2011 because many students selected the “don’t care” or “no opinion” options, which count as a “no,” according to Brozic.

“The reason we struggled, I feel, is because there’s a large percentage of students who don’t read Distraction or know that it exists,” Brozic said. “Once they do though, they end up loving it.”

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...