‘The Vow’ almost wows

Photo courtesy filmofilia.com

Have you ever read an amazing book and, upon finishing, wished you could experience it again for the first time? I know I feel this way all the time. So when Leo (Channing Tatum) compared that situation to his current situation with wife Paige (Rachel McAdams) midway through “The Vow,” I breathed an inward sigh of relief; perhaps there’s still hope for this movie after all!

The situation they find themselves in is indeed a tricky one. After a car crash that lands Paige in a coma, she wakes up with no recollection of the past five years — meaning she has no memory of her current life or of her husband, Leo.

Upon realizing that there’s a chance that Paige will never regain her memory, Leo proposes that they start dating, and points out the one positive in a truly sucky situation: that she can experience them falling in love all over again, as if for the first time.

Despite the contrived plot, the romantic in me found myself somewhat swept away by such a grand notion; who wouldn’t want to relive the honeymoon period of a relationship all over again?

To my dismay, the majority of the movie is littered with extraneous subplots that just take away from the film’s message.

Moreover, instead of trying to piece together her current life, Paige acts standoffish and uninterested toward Leo — no mind to the fact that he loves her unconditionally, looks like Channing Tatum and is her husband.

By merging into soap-opera territory, “The Vow” loses a lot of the romantic earnestness it should have had. I relished the date scene, as well as some of the more lighthearted scenes, such as Paige gasping and shielding her eyes after Leo walks into the room naked, which has him respond with, “Come on, it’s not like you haven’t seen it before.”

Those words could apply to the film just as well.

Rating: 2 Stars

Lauren Cohen

Contributing Edge Writer

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...