Student Government campaigning begins

With Student Government (SG) elections around the corner, new sets of faces are seeking executive positions. Two is the magic number this February, with only two tickets up for election and two referenda on the ballot.

“Inspired By U”

Nawara Alawa    Year: Junior         Majors: Microbiology & Immunology, Religious Studies (pre-med)

SG Leadership: Member of SG Senate’s Student Affairs Committee, Parking & Transportation Advisory Board  and Civic Engagement Task Force representative

Other Leadership: Association of Commuter Students community outreach chair, S.T.R.I.V.E.

Caitlyn Giles         Year: Junior          Majors: Political Science, Philosophy (pre-law)

Minor: History      Experience: Category 5 chair, Panhellenic Association president, Ethics Society, Alpha Delta Pi

Kenny Esman       Year: Junior          Majors: Finance, Business Law            Minor: Accounting

Experience: Senate Speaker Pro Tempore, Alpha Epsilon Pi president, Category 5, Honor Council

• Academics: Revise general education requirements to allow for more flexibility and reflect personal interests by creating general areas from which students will complete a concentration

• Campus life: Computer lab in the Memorial building will give students computer and UPrint access closer to their classrooms

• Traditions: Respect the Seal and Rub the Ibis are two ways to implement campus traditions beyond athletics, matching centuries-old universities around the country

• Special programming: Spring BBQ Kickoff will be a huge welcome back celebration to start the spring semester and provide a balance for all of the big events in the fall

• Stance on current SG initiatives: Finalize projects like take-out dining and providing a dessert option on campus

“Think B.I.G.” (Believe, Innovate, Grow)

Parker Barnett     Year: Junior      Majors: Economics, Business Management

SG Leadership: School of Business senator, Senate University Affairs Committee chair, Senate Policy & Finance Committee vice-chair

Other Leadership: Resident Assistant at Pearson Residential College

Emily Stanch     Year: Junior       Major: Accounting

Experience: School of Business Dean’s Undergraduate Advisory Board, Zeta Tau Alpha, President’s 100

Ian Bai    Year: Junior         Majors: Management Science, Economics

Experience: Resident Assistant at Pearson Residential College, Alpha Kappa Psi, President’s 100, Cost-Benefit Analyst at Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics

• Quality of life: Implement Medical Amnesty and Good Samaritan Protocol so that underage drinkers in emergency situations feel comfortable calling for an ambulance without university consequences on the first offense

• Ease financial burdens: Expand Cane Card to be accepted at off-campus restaurants, and offer student discounts at local businesses and restaurants

• Raise the rank: Attract students who are eager to learn with programs like Plus 1 Scholars, which would allow students to apply for a fifth year at the university free of tuition to pursue a passion that was discovered while studying for a degree in a different subject

• Stance on current SG initiatives: Continue projects in action like the Farmers Market, but reevaluate the need for others like the Rent-a-Bike system

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...

After an outstanding outdoor debut, Kayla Johnson sas named ACC Women's Outdoor Field Performer ...