Student Government campaigning begins

With Student Government (SG) elections around the corner, new sets of faces are seeking executive positions. Two is the magic number this February, with only two tickets up for election and two referenda on the ballot.

“Inspired By U”

Nawara Alawa    Year: Junior         Majors: Microbiology & Immunology, Religious Studies (pre-med)

SG Leadership: Member of SG Senate’s Student Affairs Committee, Parking & Transportation Advisory Board  and Civic Engagement Task Force representative

Other Leadership: Association of Commuter Students community outreach chair, S.T.R.I.V.E.

Caitlyn Giles         Year: Junior          Majors: Political Science, Philosophy (pre-law)

Minor: History      Experience: Category 5 chair, Panhellenic Association president, Ethics Society, Alpha Delta Pi

Kenny Esman       Year: Junior          Majors: Finance, Business Law            Minor: Accounting

Experience: Senate Speaker Pro Tempore, Alpha Epsilon Pi president, Category 5, Honor Council

PLATFORMS: 

• Academics: Revise general education requirements to allow for more flexibility and reflect personal interests by creating general areas from which students will complete a concentration

• Campus life: Computer lab in the Memorial building will give students computer and UPrint access closer to their classrooms

• Traditions: Respect the Seal and Rub the Ibis are two ways to implement campus traditions beyond athletics, matching centuries-old universities around the country

• Special programming: Spring BBQ Kickoff will be a huge welcome back celebration to start the spring semester and provide a balance for all of the big events in the fall

• Stance on current SG initiatives: Finalize projects like take-out dining and providing a dessert option on campus

“Think B.I.G.” (Believe, Innovate, Grow)

Parker Barnett     Year: Junior      Majors: Economics, Business Management

SG Leadership: School of Business senator, Senate University Affairs Committee chair, Senate Policy & Finance Committee vice-chair

Other Leadership: Resident Assistant at Pearson Residential College

Emily Stanch     Year: Junior       Major: Accounting

Experience: School of Business Dean’s Undergraduate Advisory Board, Zeta Tau Alpha, President’s 100

Ian Bai    Year: Junior         Majors: Management Science, Economics

Experience: Resident Assistant at Pearson Residential College, Alpha Kappa Psi, President’s 100, Cost-Benefit Analyst at Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics

PLATFORMS

• Quality of life: Implement Medical Amnesty and Good Samaritan Protocol so that underage drinkers in emergency situations feel comfortable calling for an ambulance without university consequences on the first offense

• Ease financial burdens: Expand Cane Card to be accepted at off-campus restaurants, and offer student discounts at local businesses and restaurants

• Raise the rank: Attract students who are eager to learn with programs like Plus 1 Scholars, which would allow students to apply for a fifth year at the university free of tuition to pursue a passion that was discovered while studying for a degree in a different subject

• Stance on current SG initiatives: Continue projects in action like the Farmers Market, but reevaluate the need for others like the Rent-a-Bike system

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...