New program offers free rides around campus

A late-night ride home is now just a phone call away.

Student Government (SG) recently launched an on-demand transit program called SafeRide, where students can receive a car ride from Sunday through Thursday between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. simply by making a phone call.

The program will offer students a ride anywhere on campus and to any of the roads surrounding campus including Ponce De Leon Boulevard, Red Road, San Amaro Drive, Campo Sano Avenue and Pisano Avenue.

The program is in its early stages and only one car will be transporting students.  The vehicle will be required to keep a passenger log and will be driven by the same personnel who drive the shuttles.

When the program ends on April 26, the program will be reevaluated based on the logs to determine whether there is enough student demand to add more cars to the programs.

“We expect it to be huge,” SG Press Secretary Mike Piacentino said. “Once students figure out about it, it will be an added convenience on campus.”

Piacentino said the program is intended for students who stay late on campus to study, as well as those who have to carry equipment and projects home.

“Plenty of people get into jams at night that could use the service,” senior Peter Graber said. “Certain majors that carry more than others like music students would need it because they have instruments.”

It will supplement the current emergency blue light phones, which students can use to call the police.

The program was created by University Village Senator Doug Aguililla. He was inspired by a similar program at Florida State University.

“We have had two deaths in the last years of students who were walking around campus,” he said. “Why don’t we have a service like this at UM?”

Aguililla said the program should be useful to at least half of the student body.

“They won’t have to walk through sketchy areas to get home at night,” he said.

Senior Samantha Lang is excited about the new transportation option.

“As a girl and if I’m alone at night, I think I’d use it. It would be useful for all students, especially after 10 p.m.,” Lang said.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...