Cosford Cinema offers old movie options

The Bill Cosford Cinema will transform on Thursday into a theater of the bizarre, featuring films with sex, violence, vice and the worst director of all time.

University of Miami’s Norton Herrick Center for Motion Pictures Studies will draw from its large collection of rare exploitation films to host a discussion on exploitation cinema and low-budget films.

“Exploitation films paved the way for today’s horror films,” said Christina Lane, the director of the Herrick Center.

Eric Schaefer will be leading the lecture called “High on Low: What We Can Learn from Low-Budget Films.” Schaefer is a film professor at Emerson College in Boston, who specializes in exploitation cinema.

“Low-budget movies can often get under your skin and make you feel things in ways that big-budget movies do not,” he said.

Lane said Schaefer is “one of the top scholars on this subject in the nation, if not the world.”

Lane expects students to learn a lot from the session with Schaefer, who will discuss how these films have dealt with subject matter too taboo for mainstream film and what they add to the understanding of cinema.

The films in the collection, including cult films and race movies, draw from controversial subject matter.

They were initially made to target and shock young adult and college-age audiences.

These graphic titles influenced directors like Wes Craven, Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez.

“Watching these examples might help them to better appreciate and understand many of the movies that draw them in today,” Lane said.

One of the clips screened will be from director Ed Wood, sometimes referred to as the worst director of all time. Wood’s movies had dry acting, terrible special effects that were noticeably fake (even for their time) and incoherent plots.

“Looking at all types of moving images helps inform our understanding of history,” Schaefer said. “When we have a grasp of history we’re better able to understand our contemporary situation and plan for our future.”

Schaefer hopes students will come away with a better understanding of the underbelly of the film world and how it differs from mainstream Hollywood fare.

“Scholars are starting to realize that you can learn just as much about popular taste and opinion from marginal films – maybe more – than from film,” Schaefer said.

Hyan Freitas

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...