iPads offer nutritional facts at campus eateries

Dominika Swieboda,, freshman, checks the nutritional information for the dinner meal at the new ipad kiosks in the Mahoney/Pearson dinning hall on Wednesday evening. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Nutritional information is now a tap and a swipe away in the dining halls and food court.

Dining Services, in conjunction with Chartwells, has installed kiosks with mounted iPads that allow students to access the nutritional information of items on the menu and provide feedback on Chartwells’ service via an app.

The system is being tested at the University of Miami and the University of Nebraska-Kearney.

“We’re working with Chartwells to work more proactively when approaching issues,” said Sandra Redway, the executive director of Dining Services. “The more we hear, the better we are.”

Students have had access to nutritional information online and in menus that could be requested at the dining halls in the past, Redway said.

“Before there were large manuals you had to thumb through for information and they weren’t easily accessible,” she said. “With the new system, it’s at your fingertips.”

Since Redway came to campus in 2010, the new addition has been a work in progress.

Following town hall meetings and forums with students, Redway said UM Dining Services has been taking student input into account.

To ensure that Dining Services hears what students have to say, Student Government (SG)  Press Secretary Mike Piacentino also serves as the social media marketing intern for UM Dining.

Student Government and UM dining see the value in increased transparency, Piacentino said. He believes the students will appreciate it as well.

“I think once students are aware of the kiosks, it’ll be a staple in the dining halls,” he said.  “It’s a very useful tool.”

Some students think the new addition to the food court and dining halls is useful.

“I think it’s a great idea,” junior Ariana Salmon said. “It’s always comforting to know I’m making the right diet choices.”

Others are unsure if the iPads will actually be used.

“I think it’s cool for people to look at, but I don’t think many will use it,” sophomore Ailynn Nguyen said. “People come hungry, and they’re not going to stop and check the nutrition, especially with long lines at lunch time.”

SG is also currently working with Dining Services on initiatives, including a take-out option in dining halls for students, and they are considering other input from students.

They are also working to bring a separate dessert spot to campus, such as an ice cream shop, but permit issues have been a roadblock thus far, Piacentino said.

About Author

Hyan Freitas

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...