News Briefs 2/9

Cold War Lecture
Ines Triay, the former assistant secretary for the Office of Environmental Management in the U.S. Department of Energy under President Obama, will speak on Thursday at 3:30 p.m. The event, called “The Environmental Legacy of the Cold War,” will be in the Knight Physics Building’s Wilder Auditorium, Room 112.  An alumna of the University of Miami, Triay has dedicated her career to the cleanup of radioactive waste from Cold War nuclear weapons production and research. It is free and open to the public. For more information, call 305-284-5531.

Cosford Screening
The award-winning “Made in India” is a documentary that covers the journey of U.S. couples who have outsourced reproductive surrogacy to India while addressing legal and ethical dilemmas. It will be screened at the Cosford Cinema on Monday at 6:15 p.m. in collaboration with UM’s Department of Women’s and Gender Studies. There will be a discussion moderated by the director and co-producer of the documentary, Rebecca Haimowitz. The event is free. For more information, call 305-243-5723.
Tax Preparation
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance will provide free basic income tax return preparation and electronic filing on Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the law school library, room D201. This service is available to taxpayers earning $50,000 or less, individuals with disabilities, non-English speakers and the elderly. For more information, call Cecilia Calderon-Salzburg at 305-284-8195.
Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...