Website launched to track campus construction

Cayla Nimmo // Assistant Photo editor
A website dedicated to the new Student Activities Center (SAC) was launched by the Division of Student Affairs during winter break to share updates about the construction of the building.
Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely said the website will allow students, staff, faculty and alumni to follow “this transformative building.”
The SAC website features a frequently asked questions section, construction photos, a live camera, an interactive timeline and details on the building’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
The LEED Green Building Rating System measures factors such as materials selection and energy efficiency. The university is striving to implement as many sustainable features in the SAC as the design will support in order to obtain the best possible LEED rating, according to the website.
The construction of the SAC is currently on schedule, Whitely said. The estimated project timeline plans for construction finish by summer 2013, with the grand opening planned for fall 2013.
The completed SAC will be located on the shore of Lake Osceola, where the former Rathskeller stood. The building will have three floors and will  also house a new two-story Rat at the end of construction.
The SAC will work alongside the existing University Center, UC Patio, pool and other outdoor spaces at the university to create an entire student center complex, according to the website.
The site also provides details about the building’s  specifications, from its size of 119,368 square feet to its features, including lounge areas, a large multipurpose room, new meeting rooms and retail outlets.
Students have had mixed reactions about the launch of the website. Senior Giovany Delgado is not interested in the information on the website.
“I think that, yes, I’ll visit the website just to be curious, but to gain information on the building and the construction, not really,” Delgado said.
Others, like sophomore Dana Smart, think that the launch of the website will be informative.
“The website is useful because, personally, I don’t really know what’s going on, so I’ll be able to find out,” she said.
Smart is excited for the construction to be finished in 2013.
“I didn’t really get to experience the Rat fully, so since it’s going to be back there, I want to go there more and see all of the events because I heard it was a big thing,” she said.
The website is already running. To view it, visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/student_activities_center.

Emma Reyes

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...