Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

UM’s sailing club hopes to reach district competition

Freshman Bryce Scarfome and senior Nick Voss race another team during sailng club practice last fall on Biscayne Bay. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Club sports are in abundance at the University of Miami, but only one can be classified as the oldest on campus.

With ideal waves and wind movement all over the South Florida coast, it should come as no surprise that the sailing club holds that distinction.

Whether on Miami Beach or Biscayne Bay, Miami’s sailing team practices four times each week. Based out of the Coconut Grove Yacht Club, the club practices with eight Flying Juniors, but the majority of college events use different types of boats.

These events, or regattas, are usually held in two-person Club 420’s and Flying Juniors or one-person Lasers. For sailors to be part of those events, each one must attend at least two of the four mandatory practices. With practice comes knowledge, and with knowledge come wins. The club has its sights set on district competitions this year.

“It’s great to be a part of a team that’s rising so fast, season after season, and that our recruits are getting better year after year,” club member Ben Jassin said. “I’m proud of how far we’ve come and excited to see how great the future of this team will be as our hard work pays off.”

Championship regattas are usually held in the New England area or the mid-Atlantic intersectional to assure competition against the best teams. UM’s club hopes to make it to one of those events this season.

Traveling to such highly regarded regattas carries a big expense. For each one, U Sailing sets a goal of around $2000 in fundraising. This goal can be achieved with the help of donations from members, family, friends and organizations that love the sport of sailing.

“There is a local snipe fleet (group of sailors) here at U Sailing and their class motto is ‘serious sailing, serious fun,’” club President Nikki Bruno said. “I like to think that we emulate that adage, as we are not just a top-10 nationally ranked team, but great at having fun off the water too.”

With some of the best sailing conditions in the world, Miami is home to the U.S. Olympic trials and constantly gives the UM sailors motivation to better themselves.

The team is hopeful that they will reach new highs this season.

“Go big or go home. We’ve been working toward this goal for years,” junior Chelsea Carlson said. “I think this year we will finally attain it.”

Christopher Otero

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...