The perpetual quest for an education

After three years at the University of Miami, four changes to my major and countless tests, papers and projects, reality is finally beginning to set in.

I am faced with the milestone of college graduation in 11 months, and the only word I can use to describe my emotions is ambivalence.

Senior year of high school is probably one of the most hopeful times in a student’s life. We paint a picture in our heads of what college will be like – the colorful social scene, the liberal classes, the never-ending knowledge – and, for a moment, we can taste success.

Three years later, I realize the picture I painted is different from the life I currently live. I realized that the education necessary for whatever comes after college cannot be found in Cox or Memorial.

With a few exceptions, we usually sit in classrooms staring at the clock, wishing that time would go faster, wishing away the presence that we looked forward to just a few years ago. We can blame it on uninterested professors, boring subject matter, hangovers and exhaustion, but the truth is that most of what we learn in class is useless.

I recently read a speech that was delivered at the University of Chicago and stumbled upon some eye-opening numbers: a one-point increment in college GPA – from 2.8 to 3.8, for example – is worth about an additional 9 percent in income four years after college. To put that in perspective, even on a $100,000 scale, that 9 percent is not enough to pay a full year’s rent in almost any U.S. city.

The moral of the speech was to reiterate the fact that, regardless of statistics and predictions, we give effort in college because being educated is simply better than not being educated.

I can’t help but wonder, is this what education is? Sitting in classrooms, daydreaming about doing things we actually want to do? After talking with numerous friends, it is evident that none of us feel remotely prepared to enter the “real world.” How is it that attendance at a top-50 university in the United States and $200,000 spent on tuition still leaves us feeling … unfulfilled?

Regardless, we all have to move on. Whether it’s graduate school, the working world or traveling, our degrees should be put to use in one way or another. I suppose the quest for education is continuous.

Nicole Spiteri is a junior majoring in English literature.

Nicole Spiteri

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...