Sports Briefs 2-6

Football

Former UM defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy became the fifth Hurricane in program history to be voted into the NFL Hall of Fame on Saturday afternoon. Kennedy played 11 years in the league with the Seattle Seahawks, who drafted him with the No. 3 overall pick in the 1990 NFL Draft.  There, he was selected to eight Pro Bowls while registering 58 sacks and only missing nine games in his career.

As a Cane, Kennedy helped lead Miami to a Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama and the 1989 national title. He joins Jim Otto, Ted Hendricks, Jim Kelly and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame.

Track & Field

Sophomore Connor Adams broke his week-old record in the mile run over the weekend as Miami competed at the Virginia Tech Elite Meet. Adams finished the mile in 4:11.91, while fellow sophomore Luke Fontaine finished it in 4:18.28 and won his own heat. Senior Tarika Williams competed in the 60m sprints, finishing with a personal record of 7.29 seconds. Miami will travel to Ames next week to compete in the Iowa State Classic.

ACC

The ACC has released its new scheduling format to accommodate the two new additions to the conference: Pittsburgh and Syracuse. In football, Pittsburgh will join the Coastal division while Syracuse will be a member of the Atlantic division. Both teams will be crossover partners, much like Miami and FSU, meaning they will play each other every season. Beyond that, the conference will now have nine conference games per team, leaving room for only three non-conference games.

For men’s and women’s basketball, Syracuse and Pittsburgh will once again be primary partners, playing each other twice every year. The conference will also shift to an 18-game conference schedule beginning in 2012-2013. For olympic sports, each school will continue to play each other at least once, with the exception of baseball.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...