Sports Briefs 2-6

Football

Former UM defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy became the fifth Hurricane in program history to be voted into the NFL Hall of Fame on Saturday afternoon. Kennedy played 11 years in the league with the Seattle Seahawks, who drafted him with the No. 3 overall pick in the 1990 NFL Draft.  There, he was selected to eight Pro Bowls while registering 58 sacks and only missing nine games in his career.

As a Cane, Kennedy helped lead Miami to a Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama and the 1989 national title. He joins Jim Otto, Ted Hendricks, Jim Kelly and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame.

Track & Field

Sophomore Connor Adams broke his week-old record in the mile run over the weekend as Miami competed at the Virginia Tech Elite Meet. Adams finished the mile in 4:11.91, while fellow sophomore Luke Fontaine finished it in 4:18.28 and won his own heat. Senior Tarika Williams competed in the 60m sprints, finishing with a personal record of 7.29 seconds. Miami will travel to Ames next week to compete in the Iowa State Classic.

ACC

The ACC has released its new scheduling format to accommodate the two new additions to the conference: Pittsburgh and Syracuse. In football, Pittsburgh will join the Coastal division while Syracuse will be a member of the Atlantic division. Both teams will be crossover partners, much like Miami and FSU, meaning they will play each other every season. Beyond that, the conference will now have nine conference games per team, leaving room for only three non-conference games.

For men’s and women’s basketball, Syracuse and Pittsburgh will once again be primary partners, playing each other twice every year. The conference will also shift to an 18-game conference schedule beginning in 2012-2013. For olympic sports, each school will continue to play each other at least once, with the exception of baseball.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...