Sports Briefs 2-6

Football

Former UM defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy became the fifth Hurricane in program history to be voted into the NFL Hall of Fame on Saturday afternoon. Kennedy played 11 years in the league with the Seattle Seahawks, who drafted him with the No. 3 overall pick in the 1990 NFL Draft.  There, he was selected to eight Pro Bowls while registering 58 sacks and only missing nine games in his career.

As a Cane, Kennedy helped lead Miami to a Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama and the 1989 national title. He joins Jim Otto, Ted Hendricks, Jim Kelly and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame.

Track & Field

Sophomore Connor Adams broke his week-old record in the mile run over the weekend as Miami competed at the Virginia Tech Elite Meet. Adams finished the mile in 4:11.91, while fellow sophomore Luke Fontaine finished it in 4:18.28 and won his own heat. Senior Tarika Williams competed in the 60m sprints, finishing with a personal record of 7.29 seconds. Miami will travel to Ames next week to compete in the Iowa State Classic.

ACC

The ACC has released its new scheduling format to accommodate the two new additions to the conference: Pittsburgh and Syracuse. In football, Pittsburgh will join the Coastal division while Syracuse will be a member of the Atlantic division. Both teams will be crossover partners, much like Miami and FSU, meaning they will play each other every season. Beyond that, the conference will now have nine conference games per team, leaving room for only three non-conference games.

For men’s and women’s basketball, Syracuse and Pittsburgh will once again be primary partners, playing each other twice every year. The conference will also shift to an 18-game conference schedule beginning in 2012-2013. For olympic sports, each school will continue to play each other at least once, with the exception of baseball.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...