Sports Briefs 2-6

Football

Former UM defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy became the fifth Hurricane in program history to be voted into the NFL Hall of Fame on Saturday afternoon. Kennedy played 11 years in the league with the Seattle Seahawks, who drafted him with the No. 3 overall pick in the 1990 NFL Draft.  There, he was selected to eight Pro Bowls while registering 58 sacks and only missing nine games in his career.

As a Cane, Kennedy helped lead Miami to a Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama and the 1989 national title. He joins Jim Otto, Ted Hendricks, Jim Kelly and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame.

Track & Field

Sophomore Connor Adams broke his week-old record in the mile run over the weekend as Miami competed at the Virginia Tech Elite Meet. Adams finished the mile in 4:11.91, while fellow sophomore Luke Fontaine finished it in 4:18.28 and won his own heat. Senior Tarika Williams competed in the 60m sprints, finishing with a personal record of 7.29 seconds. Miami will travel to Ames next week to compete in the Iowa State Classic.

ACC

The ACC has released its new scheduling format to accommodate the two new additions to the conference: Pittsburgh and Syracuse. In football, Pittsburgh will join the Coastal division while Syracuse will be a member of the Atlantic division. Both teams will be crossover partners, much like Miami and FSU, meaning they will play each other every season. Beyond that, the conference will now have nine conference games per team, leaving room for only three non-conference games.

For men’s and women’s basketball, Syracuse and Pittsburgh will once again be primary partners, playing each other twice every year. The conference will also shift to an 18-game conference schedule beginning in 2012-2013. For olympic sports, each school will continue to play each other at least once, with the exception of baseball.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

About Author

Ernesto Suarez Sports Editor

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...