Sign to save Matheson Hammock

Matheson Hammock, one of Miami’s best-known parks, is cherished for its scenic views, jogging trails and acres of protected mangroves.

For those of you who haven’t taken a trip to the park, you are missing out. You can take a dip in the water, ride your bike or rollerblade through the scenic trail, and enjoy gourmet dining at Red Fish Grill, just eight minutes away from campus.

Now imagine construction workers building a five-story boathouse of 3.4 million cubic feet in the middle of this iconic park, thus increasing traffic congestion, noise pollution and damage to the environment. There’s no need to keep imagining; this could soon become a reality.

Last December, a bill resurfaced for Coral Gables officials to begin the construction of this monstrosity of a boathouse inside the park. The first bill for the warehouse was proposed in 2008, but was rejected by the City of Coral Gables in 2009. So why is this plan even seeing light again?

The boathouse could potentially cause more than just noise and traffic on Old Cutler Road. Matheson’s mangroves supply our waters with nutrients and shelter for marine life. These swampy forests are critical to Miami’s ecology. With the construction of the boathouse, the mangroves may be depleted and our waters could become contaminated by chemicals and fuel.

Our own university has carried out many green initiatives. On-campus organizations such as Earth Alert and Green U promote environmentally friendly habits to ensure that our community is sustainable and responsible. We should follow in UM’s footsteps. As Coral Gables residents, we have a civic responsibility to voice our opposition against environmental degradation.

Sponsors of Save Our Matheson Hammock Park have created a petition to prove that the community is against the possible construction. Signing this petition means you’re against contaminated water, increased traffic congestion, noise pollution and damage to the ecosystem. It means you care enough to save one of the last surviving hammocks in Miami-Dade County. Visit saveourmathesonhammock.com to sign the petition.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Sign to save Matheson Hammock”

1. Julian H. says:

As somebody who grew up near Matheson, I disagree with the post. The proposed warehouse is indeed in the “middle” of the park, but not in the way it’s presented, as the beach is at the “end” of the park. The Marina, and the area where the boathouse would be located, is entirely separate, and completely out of sight of, the swimming area/lagoon. It will prevent congestion on public boat ramps around the county, and provide a solution for boat owners and users who need a place to enjoy their hobby. As for the “sea level rise” attributed to a reason not to build it there in another article on the site, I agree that’s a problem down the road, but it’s a risk the developers are taking. If their building becomes unusable, so be it. Apparently within 75 years, Miami will be completely underwater. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

2. Diana Brooks says:

I am an Alum of UM and grew up at that park – Sign the petition OPPOSING THE BOATWAREHOUSE at http://www.saveourmathesonhammock.com

3. Noemi Wasmer says:

I agree with your article on opposing the construction of a boat warehouse on the park, for the obvious reasons.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...