Self-defense class offered on campus

Sophomore Jake Schwartz practices with Roiy Frenkel, a hillel employee. Rick prado has been teaching the class for three years and has been studyting for ten. Adrianne D’Angelo//The Miami Hurricane
Learn how to defend yourself the way an Israeli soldier does.
The Hillel Center on the University of Miami campus is now offering classes in Krav Maga, which is Hebrew for contact combat. It is the official self-defense system of the Israeli Defense Force.
The self-defense technique  was first created by Imi Lichtenfeld in an effort to protect Jewish neighborhoods against growing anti-Semitism in Europe, said Roiy Frenkel, the program coordinator for Israel at the Hillel Center. Lichtenfeld used his background as a wrestler and boxer to develop Krav Maga.
The class emphasizes techniques like striking, wrestling and tackling. This focus is what motivated Enrique “Rick” Prado to learn Krav Maga, who now teaches the class at Hillel.
“People should learn how to defend themselves, and I believe this is one of the most effective systems out there,” he said. “Krav Maga is a no nonsense system that deals with real-life situations.”
The class allows students to learn how to how to escape from chokes and headlocks, how to throw punches and kicks, and even how to fight against a firearm.
The system is also currently used by United States local law enforcement, federal agencies, state police, SWAT and special operations teams.
“It’s an all-encompassing self-defense system,” Prado said.
The benefits of Krav Maga extend beyond  learning self-defense.
“You become so much more aware about your surroundings,” said Walter Lieber, a Coral Gables resident who is a regular participant in Krav Maga classes.
Aside from enhanced self-defense and awareness, the system also allows those who practice it to think in a different state of mind.
“If you get into a situation, even if you do not remember what to do, you are trained to know that you should think, not panic,” Lieber said.
He also said the class gave him more confidence.
“In the past, I’ve traveled a lot and you just don’t know what kind of situation you’re going to find yourself in,” he said. “The ability to know that you are able to defend yourself better tends to make you feel more confident.”
Graduate student Lola Omishore thinks that taking the Krav Maga class can bring “cultural awareness of how self-defense is taught in other countries.”
“I’ve never even heard of Krav Maga,” Omishore said. “I think that’d definitely be an eye-opener to know how people express themselves in other cultures. We already are fascinated with the Middle East and Dubai and everything else.”

Saira Sumbal

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...