Self-defense class offered on campus

Sophomore Jake Schwartz practices with Roiy Frenkel, a hillel employee. Rick prado has been teaching the class for three years and has been studyting for ten. Adrianne D’Angelo//The Miami Hurricane
Learn how to defend yourself the way an Israeli soldier does.
The Hillel Center on the University of Miami campus is now offering classes in Krav Maga, which is Hebrew for contact combat. It is the official self-defense system of the Israeli Defense Force.
The self-defense technique  was first created by Imi Lichtenfeld in an effort to protect Jewish neighborhoods against growing anti-Semitism in Europe, said Roiy Frenkel, the program coordinator for Israel at the Hillel Center. Lichtenfeld used his background as a wrestler and boxer to develop Krav Maga.
The class emphasizes techniques like striking, wrestling and tackling. This focus is what motivated Enrique “Rick” Prado to learn Krav Maga, who now teaches the class at Hillel.
“People should learn how to defend themselves, and I believe this is one of the most effective systems out there,” he said. “Krav Maga is a no nonsense system that deals with real-life situations.”
The class allows students to learn how to how to escape from chokes and headlocks, how to throw punches and kicks, and even how to fight against a firearm.
The system is also currently used by United States local law enforcement, federal agencies, state police, SWAT and special operations teams.
“It’s an all-encompassing self-defense system,” Prado said.
The benefits of Krav Maga extend beyond  learning self-defense.
“You become so much more aware about your surroundings,” said Walter Lieber, a Coral Gables resident who is a regular participant in Krav Maga classes.
Aside from enhanced self-defense and awareness, the system also allows those who practice it to think in a different state of mind.
“If you get into a situation, even if you do not remember what to do, you are trained to know that you should think, not panic,” Lieber said.
He also said the class gave him more confidence.
“In the past, I’ve traveled a lot and you just don’t know what kind of situation you’re going to find yourself in,” he said. “The ability to know that you are able to defend yourself better tends to make you feel more confident.”
Graduate student Lola Omishore thinks that taking the Krav Maga class can bring “cultural awareness of how self-defense is taught in other countries.”
“I’ve never even heard of Krav Maga,” Omishore said. “I think that’d definitely be an eye-opener to know how people express themselves in other cultures. We already are fascinated with the Middle East and Dubai and everything else.”

Saira Sumbal

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...