Instant weather forecasts to be delivered via text

With the help of forecasts made by the Atmospheric Science Club, UM students and faculty members will soon be able to deal with unpredictable Miami weather conditions through text message updates each day, rain or shine.

While the Atmospheric Science Club currently shares its weather predictions on Twitter (@UMCampusCast), marketing manager Joe Kleiman came to Student Government (SG) with the idea of expanding the initiative to a broader community.

“The goal is for these texts to go out in the mornings, so that students get the alerts before they go to class in the mornings so they’re prepared,” Kleiman said.

SG brought the plan to the Information Technology (IT) Department. William Vilberg, associate director of the Instructional Advancement Center, coordinated the initiative, bringing in a UM student to write the program code.

Robert Rankin, a junior majoring in biology and philosophy who taught himself computer programming, completed the code for the program that will send out the messages. The program adds phone numbers to a database that will send the users a text message each morning with the Atmospheric Club’s forecast.

SG and IT are now working on the details of how the service will run, SG Executive Secretary Michaela Hennessy said.

Tweets are currently released between midnight and 2 a.m. daily. However, the times might change once the text forecasts start.

“My hope is that it will be up and running by the middle of this semester so that we can work out any kinks until the summer,” Hennessy said.

The weather text system should be presented to students in its full form by the start of the fall 2012 semester, Hennessy said.

Kleiman and the club’s president, George Houck, compile the Twitter forecasts from data on weather websites. Other members will do weekly rotations once the forecasts are extended to campus-wide text messages.

The forecasts are tailored to the UM community, Kleiman said. During football season, the club will give a tailgate forecast and a game-time forecast in addition to the usual morning prediction.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

The University of Miami basketball team was unable to overcome Virginia’s pack-line defense in a 59- ...

Even in signing a strong overall class, UM lost out on five defensive targets on National Signing Da ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...