Student Government launches new program

Student Government (SG) will be releasing the applications for the Design-A-Course pilot program on Monday.

The program was one of  Taking U Forward’s original campaign platforms. The idea stemmed from a similar program at the University of Virginia.

“You go back to the old mantra, ‘You learn best by teaching others,’” SG President Brandon Mitchell said.

These courses range from one to three credits and will be pass/fail only. Therefore, they do not count toward a student’s GPA. Professors will be responsible for grading the course, but students will be the ones teaching.

After completing the application to create a course, students must then select a full-time professor who will mentor them through the process of planning and teaching the class, which includes putting together a syllabus.

“A lot of this is going to depend heavily on the relationship the student has with the mentor,” SG press secretary Michael Piacentino said.

After the application is submitted, it must then go through a lengthy approval process.

The two main hurdles will be the Academic Affairs Committee of the SG Senate, and then the administrators of the schools and colleges under which the courses fall.

The SG Senate committee will determine whether there will be enough student interest in the proposed course. The schools and colleges will then review the course’s syllabus. At any point in this process, the syllabus may be returned to the student and mentor for changes.

The next step will also be the longest step: seeking approval from the curriculum committee of the Faculty Senate, who meet infrequently.

The final two approvals will have to come from Bill Greene, the senior vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the accreditation agency to which UM belongs.

“It is a slightly longer process than we originally thought,” Piacentino said. “All these approvals are to ensure that the classes will mean something for both the students taking the course and the students teaching them. It is also to make sure the courses align with the prestigious academic culture at the U.”

Currently, all students can apply to design a course in any of the schools and colleges.

If the course completes the approval process this semester, it will be available on myUM in the fall. It will be listed under the professor’s name but will mention in the description that it is taught by a student. Most of these classes will be small with less than 20 students.

Students, like senior Emily Packard, are excited about this program.

“There are a lot of students here who have interests that cross over multiple disciplines, and I think that this is a neat opportunity for a fusion of different departments,” Packard said. “I’m a neuroscience major but I’m also really interested in anthropology, and you could probably do some cool kind of mash of both of those things.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...