Student Government launches new program

Student Government (SG) will be releasing the applications for the Design-A-Course pilot program on Monday.

The program was one of  Taking U Forward’s original campaign platforms. The idea stemmed from a similar program at the University of Virginia.

“You go back to the old mantra, ‘You learn best by teaching others,’” SG President Brandon Mitchell said.

These courses range from one to three credits and will be pass/fail only. Therefore, they do not count toward a student’s GPA. Professors will be responsible for grading the course, but students will be the ones teaching.

After completing the application to create a course, students must then select a full-time professor who will mentor them through the process of planning and teaching the class, which includes putting together a syllabus.

“A lot of this is going to depend heavily on the relationship the student has with the mentor,” SG press secretary Michael Piacentino said.

After the application is submitted, it must then go through a lengthy approval process.

The two main hurdles will be the Academic Affairs Committee of the SG Senate, and then the administrators of the schools and colleges under which the courses fall.

The SG Senate committee will determine whether there will be enough student interest in the proposed course. The schools and colleges will then review the course’s syllabus. At any point in this process, the syllabus may be returned to the student and mentor for changes.

The next step will also be the longest step: seeking approval from the curriculum committee of the Faculty Senate, who meet infrequently.

The final two approvals will have to come from Bill Greene, the senior vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the accreditation agency to which UM belongs.

“It is a slightly longer process than we originally thought,” Piacentino said. “All these approvals are to ensure that the classes will mean something for both the students taking the course and the students teaching them. It is also to make sure the courses align with the prestigious academic culture at the U.”

Currently, all students can apply to design a course in any of the schools and colleges.

If the course completes the approval process this semester, it will be available on myUM in the fall. It will be listed under the professor’s name but will mention in the description that it is taught by a student. Most of these classes will be small with less than 20 students.

Students, like senior Emily Packard, are excited about this program.

“There are a lot of students here who have interests that cross over multiple disciplines, and I think that this is a neat opportunity for a fusion of different departments,” Packard said. “I’m a neuroscience major but I’m also really interested in anthropology, and you could probably do some cool kind of mash of both of those things.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...