Student Government launches new program

Student Government (SG) will be releasing the applications for the Design-A-Course pilot program on Monday.

The program was one of  Taking U Forward’s original campaign platforms. The idea stemmed from a similar program at the University of Virginia.

“You go back to the old mantra, ‘You learn best by teaching others,’” SG President Brandon Mitchell said.

These courses range from one to three credits and will be pass/fail only. Therefore, they do not count toward a student’s GPA. Professors will be responsible for grading the course, but students will be the ones teaching.

After completing the application to create a course, students must then select a full-time professor who will mentor them through the process of planning and teaching the class, which includes putting together a syllabus.

“A lot of this is going to depend heavily on the relationship the student has with the mentor,” SG press secretary Michael Piacentino said.

After the application is submitted, it must then go through a lengthy approval process.

The two main hurdles will be the Academic Affairs Committee of the SG Senate, and then the administrators of the schools and colleges under which the courses fall.

The SG Senate committee will determine whether there will be enough student interest in the proposed course. The schools and colleges will then review the course’s syllabus. At any point in this process, the syllabus may be returned to the student and mentor for changes.

The next step will also be the longest step: seeking approval from the curriculum committee of the Faculty Senate, who meet infrequently.

The final two approvals will have to come from Bill Greene, the senior vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the accreditation agency to which UM belongs.

“It is a slightly longer process than we originally thought,” Piacentino said. “All these approvals are to ensure that the classes will mean something for both the students taking the course and the students teaching them. It is also to make sure the courses align with the prestigious academic culture at the U.”

Currently, all students can apply to design a course in any of the schools and colleges.

If the course completes the approval process this semester, it will be available on myUM in the fall. It will be listed under the professor’s name but will mention in the description that it is taught by a student. Most of these classes will be small with less than 20 students.

Students, like senior Emily Packard, are excited about this program.

“There are a lot of students here who have interests that cross over multiple disciplines, and I think that this is a neat opportunity for a fusion of different departments,” Packard said. “I’m a neuroscience major but I’m also really interested in anthropology, and you could probably do some cool kind of mash of both of those things.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...