The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month

In America, we celebrate black history in February.

You may not be aware of the annual debate that partakes when black history month comes around – a controversy that many would rather brush over and ignore, but let’s talk about it because it affects us all. If you think black history is not relevant to you because you are not of black ethnicity, you are mistaken. It is relevant to anyone who is an American.

Many people, African-Americans included, are against celebrating blacks for a month because it separates black history from American history. Why? Giving blacks one month out of the year may be great, but it subliminally whispers a message into the ears of many.

Black history must not be important enough to be part of global history that we acknowledge 12 months out of the year, not one.

Morgan Freeman once said, “You’re going to relegate my history to a month? What do you do with yours? Which month is white history month?”

Black history does not have to be separate from “white history” because we are intertwined. African-Americans are Americans.

The days of segregation may be over, but a concept like black history month continues to segregate the minds of many.

The other side of this controversy lies in the people who suggest the celebration has nothing to do with singling out the blacks. They feel February is just a month to promote black history and encourage people to learn more about those figures who fought for freedom like infamous Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and many others.

What do you think? Should we honor all races as a whole? This is something to think about, regardless of your stance.

Emma Bowman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month”

1. Ikechuku says:

Does anyone else’s history disappear when Feb. comes around? No, I don’t think so. That being the case Black (yes with a capital B because Black is beautiful baby :-) History Month is celebrated in addition to everyone else’s history and at the beginning of the year because Black history is REALLY the story of humanity’s triumph over the evil in the world with the use of Love :-)

So let’s celebrate the greatness of our ancestors and ourselves my wonderfully beautiful Black people as we go fourth with our weapons of Love and make our today a piece of history that many of our children will celebrate tomorrow!!

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...