The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month

In America, we celebrate black history in February.

You may not be aware of the annual debate that partakes when black history month comes around – a controversy that many would rather brush over and ignore, but let’s talk about it because it affects us all. If you think black history is not relevant to you because you are not of black ethnicity, you are mistaken. It is relevant to anyone who is an American.

Many people, African-Americans included, are against celebrating blacks for a month because it separates black history from American history. Why? Giving blacks one month out of the year may be great, but it subliminally whispers a message into the ears of many.

Black history must not be important enough to be part of global history that we acknowledge 12 months out of the year, not one.

Morgan Freeman once said, “You’re going to relegate my history to a month? What do you do with yours? Which month is white history month?”

Black history does not have to be separate from “white history” because we are intertwined. African-Americans are Americans.

The days of segregation may be over, but a concept like black history month continues to segregate the minds of many.

The other side of this controversy lies in the people who suggest the celebration has nothing to do with singling out the blacks. They feel February is just a month to promote black history and encourage people to learn more about those figures who fought for freedom like infamous Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and many others.

What do you think? Should we honor all races as a whole? This is something to think about, regardless of your stance.

Emma Bowman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month”

1. Ikechuku says:

Does anyone else’s history disappear when Feb. comes around? No, I don’t think so. That being the case Black (yes with a capital B because Black is beautiful baby :-) History Month is celebrated in addition to everyone else’s history and at the beginning of the year because Black history is REALLY the story of humanity’s triumph over the evil in the world with the use of Love :-)

So let’s celebrate the greatness of our ancestors and ourselves my wonderfully beautiful Black people as we go fourth with our weapons of Love and make our today a piece of history that many of our children will celebrate tomorrow!!

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...