The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month

In America, we celebrate black history in February.

You may not be aware of the annual debate that partakes when black history month comes around – a controversy that many would rather brush over and ignore, but let’s talk about it because it affects us all. If you think black history is not relevant to you because you are not of black ethnicity, you are mistaken. It is relevant to anyone who is an American.

Many people, African-Americans included, are against celebrating blacks for a month because it separates black history from American history. Why? Giving blacks one month out of the year may be great, but it subliminally whispers a message into the ears of many.

Black history must not be important enough to be part of global history that we acknowledge 12 months out of the year, not one.

Morgan Freeman once said, “You’re going to relegate my history to a month? What do you do with yours? Which month is white history month?”

Black history does not have to be separate from “white history” because we are intertwined. African-Americans are Americans.

The days of segregation may be over, but a concept like black history month continues to segregate the minds of many.

The other side of this controversy lies in the people who suggest the celebration has nothing to do with singling out the blacks. They feel February is just a month to promote black history and encourage people to learn more about those figures who fought for freedom like infamous Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and many others.

What do you think? Should we honor all races as a whole? This is something to think about, regardless of your stance.

Emma Bowman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month”

1. Ikechuku says:

Does anyone else’s history disappear when Feb. comes around? No, I don’t think so. That being the case Black (yes with a capital B because Black is beautiful baby :-) History Month is celebrated in addition to everyone else’s history and at the beginning of the year because Black history is REALLY the story of humanity’s triumph over the evil in the world with the use of Love :-)

So let’s celebrate the greatness of our ancestors and ourselves my wonderfully beautiful Black people as we go fourth with our weapons of Love and make our today a piece of history that many of our children will celebrate tomorrow!!

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...