The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month

In America, we celebrate black history in February.

You may not be aware of the annual debate that partakes when black history month comes around – a controversy that many would rather brush over and ignore, but let’s talk about it because it affects us all. If you think black history is not relevant to you because you are not of black ethnicity, you are mistaken. It is relevant to anyone who is an American.

Many people, African-Americans included, are against celebrating blacks for a month because it separates black history from American history. Why? Giving blacks one month out of the year may be great, but it subliminally whispers a message into the ears of many.

Black history must not be important enough to be part of global history that we acknowledge 12 months out of the year, not one.

Morgan Freeman once said, “You’re going to relegate my history to a month? What do you do with yours? Which month is white history month?”

Black history does not have to be separate from “white history” because we are intertwined. African-Americans are Americans.

The days of segregation may be over, but a concept like black history month continues to segregate the minds of many.

The other side of this controversy lies in the people who suggest the celebration has nothing to do with singling out the blacks. They feel February is just a month to promote black history and encourage people to learn more about those figures who fought for freedom like infamous Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr. and many others.

What do you think? Should we honor all races as a whole? This is something to think about, regardless of your stance.

About Author

Emma Bowman

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “The celebration of black history shouldn’t be restricted to a month”

1. Ikechuku says:

Does anyone else’s history disappear when Feb. comes around? No, I don’t think so. That being the case Black (yes with a capital B because Black is beautiful baby :-) History Month is celebrated in addition to everyone else’s history and at the beginning of the year because Black history is REALLY the story of humanity’s triumph over the evil in the world with the use of Love :-)

So let’s celebrate the greatness of our ancestors and ourselves my wonderfully beautiful Black people as we go fourth with our weapons of Love and make our today a piece of history that many of our children will celebrate tomorrow!!

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...