Staff Editorial 2/2: Academic changes for the better

Several changes and new developments in UM policies are giving students more freedom to experiment in other academic areas.

The most recent of these affects School of Communication (SoC) students. Now, students have the option to minor in the school’s communication programs. Students will also be able to take more than 40 credits in the SoC.

Also, on Friday, the majority of the SoC faculty voted in favor of repealing the requirement that students in the school  have to double major. Although this will take some time to take effect, the SoC continues to head in a positive direction.

The Faculty Senate will have the final say in the decision already approved by the SoC faculty. This can take months or even a few years to complete. However, in the mean time, students majoring in the SoC should look ahead to a promising future at UM.

If this requirement is eliminated, SoC students will still have the option to double major, but it won’t be a mandatory part of the curriculum. This will give students the ability to take a wider variety of classes, in the SoC or elsewhere, without the feeling of being constricted to so many requirements.

For students majoring outside of the SoC, do not feel abandoned. Slowly but surely, students in every major are being given new ways to personalize their academic careers.

Starting next week, students will be able to apply to participate in the new SG Design-a-Course program if they are interested in creating their own class and teaching their peers. There have also been changes made to the class search tool on myUM. Now students are able to filter classes according to the days and times they want to be on campus.

In the future, we think UM should even consider giving students the option to design their own majors, in the style of New College of Florida and Sarah Lawrence College.

Although the SoC’s removal of a second major requirement is not set in stone, the university appears committed to creating interesting options and alternatives to enhance students’ education.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...