Staff Editorial 2/2: Academic changes for the better

Several changes and new developments in UM policies are giving students more freedom to experiment in other academic areas.

The most recent of these affects School of Communication (SoC) students. Now, students have the option to minor in the school’s communication programs. Students will also be able to take more than 40 credits in the SoC.

Also, on Friday, the majority of the SoC faculty voted in favor of repealing the requirement that students in the school  have to double major. Although this will take some time to take effect, the SoC continues to head in a positive direction.

The Faculty Senate will have the final say in the decision already approved by the SoC faculty. This can take months or even a few years to complete. However, in the mean time, students majoring in the SoC should look ahead to a promising future at UM.

If this requirement is eliminated, SoC students will still have the option to double major, but it won’t be a mandatory part of the curriculum. This will give students the ability to take a wider variety of classes, in the SoC or elsewhere, without the feeling of being constricted to so many requirements.

For students majoring outside of the SoC, do not feel abandoned. Slowly but surely, students in every major are being given new ways to personalize their academic careers.

Starting next week, students will be able to apply to participate in the new SG Design-a-Course program if they are interested in creating their own class and teaching their peers. There have also been changes made to the class search tool on myUM. Now students are able to filter classes according to the days and times they want to be on campus.

In the future, we think UM should even consider giving students the option to design their own majors, in the style of New College of Florida and Sarah Lawrence College.

Although the SoC’s removal of a second major requirement is not set in stone, the university appears committed to creating interesting options and alternatives to enhance students’ education.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...