Staff Editorial 2/2: Academic changes for the better

Several changes and new developments in UM policies are giving students more freedom to experiment in other academic areas.

The most recent of these affects School of Communication (SoC) students. Now, students have the option to minor in the school’s communication programs. Students will also be able to take more than 40 credits in the SoC.

Also, on Friday, the majority of the SoC faculty voted in favor of repealing the requirement that students in the school  have to double major. Although this will take some time to take effect, the SoC continues to head in a positive direction.

The Faculty Senate will have the final say in the decision already approved by the SoC faculty. This can take months or even a few years to complete. However, in the mean time, students majoring in the SoC should look ahead to a promising future at UM.

If this requirement is eliminated, SoC students will still have the option to double major, but it won’t be a mandatory part of the curriculum. This will give students the ability to take a wider variety of classes, in the SoC or elsewhere, without the feeling of being constricted to so many requirements.

For students majoring outside of the SoC, do not feel abandoned. Slowly but surely, students in every major are being given new ways to personalize their academic careers.

Starting next week, students will be able to apply to participate in the new SG Design-a-Course program if they are interested in creating their own class and teaching their peers. There have also been changes made to the class search tool on myUM. Now students are able to filter classes according to the days and times they want to be on campus.

In the future, we think UM should even consider giving students the option to design their own majors, in the style of New College of Florida and Sarah Lawrence College.

Although the SoC’s removal of a second major requirement is not set in stone, the university appears committed to creating interesting options and alternatives to enhance students’ education.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...