Staff Editorial 2/2: Academic changes for the better

Several changes and new developments in UM policies are giving students more freedom to experiment in other academic areas.

The most recent of these affects School of Communication (SoC) students. Now, students have the option to minor in the school’s communication programs. Students will also be able to take more than 40 credits in the SoC.

Also, on Friday, the majority of the SoC faculty voted in favor of repealing the requirement that students in the school  have to double major. Although this will take some time to take effect, the SoC continues to head in a positive direction.

The Faculty Senate will have the final say in the decision already approved by the SoC faculty. This can take months or even a few years to complete. However, in the mean time, students majoring in the SoC should look ahead to a promising future at UM.

If this requirement is eliminated, SoC students will still have the option to double major, but it won’t be a mandatory part of the curriculum. This will give students the ability to take a wider variety of classes, in the SoC or elsewhere, without the feeling of being constricted to so many requirements.

For students majoring outside of the SoC, do not feel abandoned. Slowly but surely, students in every major are being given new ways to personalize their academic careers.

Starting next week, students will be able to apply to participate in the new SG Design-a-Course program if they are interested in creating their own class and teaching their peers. There have also been changes made to the class search tool on myUM. Now students are able to filter classes according to the days and times they want to be on campus.

In the future, we think UM should even consider giving students the option to design their own majors, in the style of New College of Florida and Sarah Lawrence College.

Although the SoC’s removal of a second major requirement is not set in stone, the university appears committed to creating interesting options and alternatives to enhance students’ education.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...