Radcliffe shines in post-Potter film

Courtesy screencrave.com

Daniel Radcliffe and director James Watkins take the horror genre’s haunted house cliche to a new level in “The Woman in Black.”

The film, which is based on Susan Hill’s novel of the same title, stars Radcliffe as Arthur Kipps, a young lawyer who travels to a small village to straighten out the legal affairs of a recently deceased woman. However, as he searches through papers at the woman’s home, Kipps realizes he may not be alone.

To say that the film is effective as a thriller would be an understatement. I covered my eyes at least five times during the screening. I don’t know what was scarier: the film’s loud, nerve-wracking score or the chilling face of the resentful ghost haunting the village. Regardless, I’m sure both will haunt me for days.

I initially thought the plot would be dull since it has been overdone. However, Radcliffe manages to make a familiar character seem electrifying. His overnight stay at the haunted home was the most stressful sequence I’ve ever seen in a movie. His chemistry with Ciaran Hinds, who plays a landowner in the village, is also exceptional. Radcliffe’s jump from magic to horror will reassure critics and audiences that his fame didn’t end along with Harry Potter’s adventures.

Back to the film itself, the ending is genuinely surprising and highlights Watkins’ talent. He was able to reinvent the haunted house; the last horror flick that successfully depicted a haunting was 1980’s “The Shining.” Perhaps what made the thrills and scares so refreshing was their simplicity and transparency. You knew it was coming … you knew she was going to pop up behind Radcliffe, but somehow it was still terrifying.

I thought the horror subgenre of haunted houses was dead and gone, but this film proved me wrong.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...