Billy Joel makes his way to campus

Billy Joel will be in a Miami state of mind this March.

In an event organized by Hurricane Productions, Joel, a six-time Grammy award winner, will grace the stage of the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center (BUC) for a night of music and questions on March 5.

“We wanted to bring in a totally different genre than what we’ve had before,” said Allison Novack, Hurricane Productions’ vice chair for campus relations. “He’s just such a classic.”

Joel’s feel-good rock ‘n’ roll music is a sharp contrast to Ludacris’ modern hip-hop.

“I don’t think that people are going to believe that this was an option,” Novack said. “He appeals to so many different people.”

Joel has been making music for lovers of all genres since the ‘70s. His last chart-topping album was released in 1993, when most undergraduates were still in diapers or entering preschool.

“It’s like a family thing,” sophomore Kelly McKinley said. “Your parents listen to him. I’ll probably die when he plays ‘Piano Man.’”

Joel will spend the evening discussing his music, answering student questions and performing a variety of songs throughout the night.

The event will be free, but attendance will be restricted to undergraduate students. Rather than filling up the BUC, only 1,800 tickets will be given out for the event.

“Billy Joel wanted to do something on a really intimate scale,” Novack said. “People are going to feel like they’re closer to him than at a normal concert, so we thought that was really cool.”

One ticket will be distributed per Cane Card on a first-come, first-serve basis at the University Center ticket window starting at 8:30 a.m. on Feb. 15. There will be assigned seating, so students should plan on picking up tickets with the group they intend to go with.

“They’re going to go fast, so people should get there early,” Novack said.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...