Billy Joel makes his way to campus

Billy Joel will be in a Miami state of mind this March.

In an event organized by Hurricane Productions, Joel, a six-time Grammy award winner, will grace the stage of the University of Miami’s BankUnited Center (BUC) for a night of music and questions on March 5.

“We wanted to bring in a totally different genre than what we’ve had before,” said Allison Novack, Hurricane Productions’ vice chair for campus relations. “He’s just such a classic.”

Joel’s feel-good rock ‘n’ roll music is a sharp contrast to Ludacris’ modern hip-hop.

“I don’t think that people are going to believe that this was an option,” Novack said. “He appeals to so many different people.”

Joel has been making music for lovers of all genres since the ‘70s. His last chart-topping album was released in 1993, when most undergraduates were still in diapers or entering preschool.

“It’s like a family thing,” sophomore Kelly McKinley said. “Your parents listen to him. I’ll probably die when he plays ‘Piano Man.’”

Joel will spend the evening discussing his music, answering student questions and performing a variety of songs throughout the night.

The event will be free, but attendance will be restricted to undergraduate students. Rather than filling up the BUC, only 1,800 tickets will be given out for the event.

“Billy Joel wanted to do something on a really intimate scale,” Novack said. “People are going to feel like they’re closer to him than at a normal concert, so we thought that was really cool.”

One ticket will be distributed per Cane Card on a first-come, first-serve basis at the University Center ticket window starting at 8:30 a.m. on Feb. 15. There will be assigned seating, so students should plan on picking up tickets with the group they intend to go with.

“They’re going to go fast, so people should get there early,” Novack said.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...