Researchers examine, publish study on oil spill

The researchers also found that the oil gathered in three distinct areas. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration press release about the study, the oil was found in “the well-known underwater plume about 3,300-4,300 feet below the surface, the visible surface slick, and an airborne plume.”

The majority of the oil remained in the underwater plume. As the oil escaped over 87 days, researchers found that its chemical composition remained the same.
The study’s estimate of the amount of oil leaked was higher than a previous study done by NOAA with only two day’s worth of data collected from the air. Atlas’s study included water samples collected over 6 weeks as well as air data. Other studies performed in 2010 had demonstrated how oil would settle in the Gulf, but they had done so using models in a laboratory.
“The study shows a way to provide some independent evaluation of oil leaks,” Atlas said.
He currently has no immediate plans to continue work on his latest study.
“I plan to propose with colleagues some additional work on the evaporation of spilled oil and impacts on Gulf Coast populations, but that work is only in the planning stages,” Atlas said.
RSMAS students feel that the study is representative of the kind of work the school is known for.
“The study says much about RSMAS and how cutting-edge and top-notch it is,” said Julie Sanders, a junior studying marine science and chemistry at RSMAS.
Others like senior and Vice President of Rho Rho Rho, the Marine Science Honor Society, Ryan McMinds feel that the study will not make a difference unless the word gets out.
“Policy doesn’t change unless the public puts pressure,” McMinds said.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...