Obama succeeded during his term

Rarely does our president get an uninterrupted chance before such a large audience to speak directly to the nation.  For this reason, the State of the Union address often serves two purposes: to illuminate the president’s recent record and to describe his upcoming agenda.

Last Tuesday, President Obama discussed the end of the Iraq War and the slow, but steady, winding down of the war in Afghanistan.

Although unemployment is not as low as anyone would like, the truth is that the Obama administration has created 3 million jobs in 22 months. Last year saw the greatest creation of jobs since 2005, and the unemployment rate is steadily declining.  Additionally, the U.S. is on track to double its exports.

Heading into election year, President Obama made a note that he would fight outsourcing tax breaks for multinational corporations and unfair tax breaks for oil companies.   He wants to create a federal task force to monitor banks, mortgage lenders and credit card companies for fraud, and he promoted tax breaks for manufacturing in economically-challenged communities.

He also brought up the Dream Act, a moderate initiative for citizenship for hard-working and successful students who are illegal immigrants.  Oh, and for college students, his goal is to extend college tuition tax credits and double the number of work-study jobs.

Although his agenda is more progressive, the majority of his ideas are ones that any sensible individual should find appealing. In walking the fine line between moderate and progressive, I think that he succeeded.  For myself and many others, change is here and continues to come.  Hopefully, as we head toward November, congressional obstructionists will not believe in a “my way or the highway” game.

In fact, it’s not even a game.  It should be the government doing its job.

Gaurav Dhiman is a senior majoring in biology and political science, and the president of the UM College Democrats.

Gaurav Dhiman

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Obama succeeded during his term”

1. Jordan Lewis says:

End of DADT, end of defending DOMA, end of Iraq, end of Afghanistan by 2014, death of Bin Laden, 23 straight months of job creation, more exports, saved the auto industry, established a credit card bill of rights, closed the Medicare doughnut hole, gave healthcare to millions of uninsured, PROMISES KEPT. 4 more years.

2. Arafat says:

What do I think?

To be honest with you…

So many bridges to sell Gaurav and so little time.

Why would anyone believe a word Obama says after the last four years. I mean seriously. Who are we kidding here.

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...