Children miss out on quality Disney films

I found myself strolling down memory lane by watching some of my favorite old Disney movies, some of which I hadn’t seen since I was a child. Watching them now, years later, I can appreciate them for everything that they are: beautiful, brilliant films that not only entertained us as children, but also offered strong underlying messages that a mature audience can understand.

Nostalgia aside, these films actually have a lot of substance. Hidden thematic materials include sex, lust, ambition, racism and cold-blooded murder. Many may preach that such messages have no place in movies made for children, but I beg to differ. Yes, some portions of these films were dark and possibly intended for a more mature audience, but can you imagine how boring our childhoods would have been without them?

Besides, it’s okay to be exposed to the realities of life at an early age. I believe that it makes a person stronger.

Out of pure curiosity, I have watched many recent children’s films to compare the old Disney to the new. Not to bash any of the new productions, but these films come nowhere close to the ones we grew up with, and I’m sure most would agree.

It’s almost as if we are trying to shield children from society by providing them with mindless entertainment. Why the sudden censorship?

If it was acceptable for us to be exposed to heavier material as children, why can’t kids nowadays be aware of what the real world contains?

I think they are missing out because of the limited exposure they have to stronger material. Our generation just had it better and I hope that when my fellow Disney-lovers and I have children of our own, we will remember to pass on the magic.

Niloufar Abae is a sophomore majoring in psychology and business.

Niloufar Abae

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...