Children miss out on quality Disney films

I found myself strolling down memory lane by watching some of my favorite old Disney movies, some of which I hadn’t seen since I was a child. Watching them now, years later, I can appreciate them for everything that they are: beautiful, brilliant films that not only entertained us as children, but also offered strong underlying messages that a mature audience can understand.

Nostalgia aside, these films actually have a lot of substance. Hidden thematic materials include sex, lust, ambition, racism and cold-blooded murder. Many may preach that such messages have no place in movies made for children, but I beg to differ. Yes, some portions of these films were dark and possibly intended for a more mature audience, but can you imagine how boring our childhoods would have been without them?

Besides, it’s okay to be exposed to the realities of life at an early age. I believe that it makes a person stronger.

Out of pure curiosity, I have watched many recent children’s films to compare the old Disney to the new. Not to bash any of the new productions, but these films come nowhere close to the ones we grew up with, and I’m sure most would agree.

It’s almost as if we are trying to shield children from society by providing them with mindless entertainment. Why the sudden censorship?

If it was acceptable for us to be exposed to heavier material as children, why can’t kids nowadays be aware of what the real world contains?

I think they are missing out because of the limited exposure they have to stronger material. Our generation just had it better and I hope that when my fellow Disney-lovers and I have children of our own, we will remember to pass on the magic.

Niloufar Abae is a sophomore majoring in psychology and business.

Niloufar Abae

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...