Children miss out on quality Disney films

I found myself strolling down memory lane by watching some of my favorite old Disney movies, some of which I hadn’t seen since I was a child. Watching them now, years later, I can appreciate them for everything that they are: beautiful, brilliant films that not only entertained us as children, but also offered strong underlying messages that a mature audience can understand.

Nostalgia aside, these films actually have a lot of substance. Hidden thematic materials include sex, lust, ambition, racism and cold-blooded murder. Many may preach that such messages have no place in movies made for children, but I beg to differ. Yes, some portions of these films were dark and possibly intended for a more mature audience, but can you imagine how boring our childhoods would have been without them?

Besides, it’s okay to be exposed to the realities of life at an early age. I believe that it makes a person stronger.

Out of pure curiosity, I have watched many recent children’s films to compare the old Disney to the new. Not to bash any of the new productions, but these films come nowhere close to the ones we grew up with, and I’m sure most would agree.

It’s almost as if we are trying to shield children from society by providing them with mindless entertainment. Why the sudden censorship?

If it was acceptable for us to be exposed to heavier material as children, why can’t kids nowadays be aware of what the real world contains?

I think they are missing out because of the limited exposure they have to stronger material. Our generation just had it better and I hope that when my fellow Disney-lovers and I have children of our own, we will remember to pass on the magic.

Niloufar Abae is a sophomore majoring in psychology and business.

Niloufar Abae

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...