Thrift stores near campus offer savings, rare finds

Tired of going to parties where everyone has the same clothes from Forever 21? Well, then it is time to begin thrift shopping and discover a world full of unique fashion choices.

Thrift shopping has expanded in popularity over the past years into a lucrative business. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s picks for best thrift stores near campus:

1. Give Good Works may not have the greatest selection of clothes but it stands for a good cause. The price is higher than a normal thrift shop, but most of the proceeds go to charity. The shop has a limited clothing section but clothes are in excellent condition.

Give Good Works is located at 2401 N. Miami Ave.

2. The Fashionista honors its name by providing well-known brands at reasonable prices. Prepare to spend a full afternoon strolling through its displays. The store is well-organized so shopping isn’t a headache. However, it is almost impossible to enter the shop without making a purchase.

The Fashionista  is located at 3135 Commodore Plaza in Coconut Grove.

3. The Miami Fashionista Exchange is the best place to find vintage pieces. The ambiance reminds the visitors of ‘50s glamour. The best part of the store is the jewelry section where you can find pearls and gems that are stylish and well-kept.

The Miami Fashionista Exchange is located at 6352 SW 8th St.

4. Out of the Closet is a small thrift shop where you can shop knowing you are supporting a great cause. It provides medical attention for those in need and gives 95 percent of its profits to charity. It is well-stacked with jewelry and clothes. Some are name brands, some are not, but all are reasonably priced. You can buy an entire outfit for less than $15.

Out of the Closet is located at 2900 Biscayne Blvd.

5. The Recycled Closet has, by far, the best denim selection. It is a small shop, but offers a wide selection of designer clothes, shoes and jewelry.

The Recycled Closet is located at 13843 S. Dixie Highway. 

Rosa Orihuela

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...