Thrift stores near campus offer savings, rare finds

Tired of going to parties where everyone has the same clothes from Forever 21? Well, then it is time to begin thrift shopping and discover a world full of unique fashion choices.

Thrift shopping has expanded in popularity over the past years into a lucrative business. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s picks for best thrift stores near campus:

1. Give Good Works may not have the greatest selection of clothes but it stands for a good cause. The price is higher than a normal thrift shop, but most of the proceeds go to charity. The shop has a limited clothing section but clothes are in excellent condition.

Give Good Works is located at 2401 N. Miami Ave.

2. The Fashionista honors its name by providing well-known brands at reasonable prices. Prepare to spend a full afternoon strolling through its displays. The store is well-organized so shopping isn’t a headache. However, it is almost impossible to enter the shop without making a purchase.

The Fashionista  is located at 3135 Commodore Plaza in Coconut Grove.

3. The Miami Fashionista Exchange is the best place to find vintage pieces. The ambiance reminds the visitors of ‘50s glamour. The best part of the store is the jewelry section where you can find pearls and gems that are stylish and well-kept.

The Miami Fashionista Exchange is located at 6352 SW 8th St.

4. Out of the Closet is a small thrift shop where you can shop knowing you are supporting a great cause. It provides medical attention for those in need and gives 95 percent of its profits to charity. It is well-stacked with jewelry and clothes. Some are name brands, some are not, but all are reasonably priced. You can buy an entire outfit for less than $15.

Out of the Closet is located at 2900 Biscayne Blvd.

5. The Recycled Closet has, by far, the best denim selection. It is a small shop, but offers a wide selection of designer clothes, shoes and jewelry.

The Recycled Closet is located at 13843 S. Dixie Highway. 

Rosa Orihuela

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...