Thrift stores near campus offer savings, rare finds

Tired of going to parties where everyone has the same clothes from Forever 21? Well, then it is time to begin thrift shopping and discover a world full of unique fashion choices.

Thrift shopping has expanded in popularity over the past years into a lucrative business. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s picks for best thrift stores near campus:

1. Give Good Works may not have the greatest selection of clothes but it stands for a good cause. The price is higher than a normal thrift shop, but most of the proceeds go to charity. The shop has a limited clothing section but clothes are in excellent condition.

Give Good Works is located at 2401 N. Miami Ave.

2. The Fashionista honors its name by providing well-known brands at reasonable prices. Prepare to spend a full afternoon strolling through its displays. The store is well-organized so shopping isn’t a headache. However, it is almost impossible to enter the shop without making a purchase.

The Fashionista  is located at 3135 Commodore Plaza in Coconut Grove.

3. The Miami Fashionista Exchange is the best place to find vintage pieces. The ambiance reminds the visitors of ‘50s glamour. The best part of the store is the jewelry section where you can find pearls and gems that are stylish and well-kept.

The Miami Fashionista Exchange is located at 6352 SW 8th St.

4. Out of the Closet is a small thrift shop where you can shop knowing you are supporting a great cause. It provides medical attention for those in need and gives 95 percent of its profits to charity. It is well-stacked with jewelry and clothes. Some are name brands, some are not, but all are reasonably priced. You can buy an entire outfit for less than $15.

Out of the Closet is located at 2900 Biscayne Blvd.

5. The Recycled Closet has, by far, the best denim selection. It is a small shop, but offers a wide selection of designer clothes, shoes and jewelry.

The Recycled Closet is located at 13843 S. Dixie Highway. 

Rosa Orihuela

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...