Thrift stores near campus offer savings, rare finds

Tired of going to parties where everyone has the same clothes from Forever 21? Well, then it is time to begin thrift shopping and discover a world full of unique fashion choices.

Thrift shopping has expanded in popularity over the past years into a lucrative business. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s picks for best thrift stores near campus:

1. Give Good Works may not have the greatest selection of clothes but it stands for a good cause. The price is higher than a normal thrift shop, but most of the proceeds go to charity. The shop has a limited clothing section but clothes are in excellent condition.

Give Good Works is located at 2401 N. Miami Ave.

2. The Fashionista honors its name by providing well-known brands at reasonable prices. Prepare to spend a full afternoon strolling through its displays. The store is well-organized so shopping isn’t a headache. However, it is almost impossible to enter the shop without making a purchase.

The Fashionista  is located at 3135 Commodore Plaza in Coconut Grove.

3. The Miami Fashionista Exchange is the best place to find vintage pieces. The ambiance reminds the visitors of ‘50s glamour. The best part of the store is the jewelry section where you can find pearls and gems that are stylish and well-kept.

The Miami Fashionista Exchange is located at 6352 SW 8th St.

4. Out of the Closet is a small thrift shop where you can shop knowing you are supporting a great cause. It provides medical attention for those in need and gives 95 percent of its profits to charity. It is well-stacked with jewelry and clothes. Some are name brands, some are not, but all are reasonably priced. You can buy an entire outfit for less than $15.

Out of the Closet is located at 2900 Biscayne Blvd.

5. The Recycled Closet has, by far, the best denim selection. It is a small shop, but offers a wide selection of designer clothes, shoes and jewelry.

The Recycled Closet is located at 13843 S. Dixie Highway. 

Rosa Orihuela

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...