Thrift stores near campus offer savings, rare finds

Tired of going to parties where everyone has the same clothes from Forever 21? Well, then it is time to begin thrift shopping and discover a world full of unique fashion choices.

Thrift shopping has expanded in popularity over the past years into a lucrative business. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s picks for best thrift stores near campus:

1. Give Good Works may not have the greatest selection of clothes but it stands for a good cause. The price is higher than a normal thrift shop, but most of the proceeds go to charity. The shop has a limited clothing section but clothes are in excellent condition.

Give Good Works is located at 2401 N. Miami Ave.

2. The Fashionista honors its name by providing well-known brands at reasonable prices. Prepare to spend a full afternoon strolling through its displays. The store is well-organized so shopping isn’t a headache. However, it is almost impossible to enter the shop without making a purchase.

The Fashionista  is located at 3135 Commodore Plaza in Coconut Grove.

3. The Miami Fashionista Exchange is the best place to find vintage pieces. The ambiance reminds the visitors of ‘50s glamour. The best part of the store is the jewelry section where you can find pearls and gems that are stylish and well-kept.

The Miami Fashionista Exchange is located at 6352 SW 8th St.

4. Out of the Closet is a small thrift shop where you can shop knowing you are supporting a great cause. It provides medical attention for those in need and gives 95 percent of its profits to charity. It is well-stacked with jewelry and clothes. Some are name brands, some are not, but all are reasonably priced. You can buy an entire outfit for less than $15.

Out of the Closet is located at 2900 Biscayne Blvd.

5. The Recycled Closet has, by far, the best denim selection. It is a small shop, but offers a wide selection of designer clothes, shoes and jewelry.

The Recycled Closet is located at 13843 S. Dixie Highway. 

Rosa Orihuela

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...