Obama fails to control spending

Three years ago last week, Barack Obama was sworn into office as the 44th President of the United States on promises of hope and change. For the 2012 election, his campaign has chosen, “We can’t wait,” as its central theme.

We completely agree with President Obama: We can’t wait to elect a Republican this year, and we can’t afford not to.

When President Bush left office, the national debt was $10.6 trillion; now it’s $15.2 trillion. President Obama has contributed almost as much to the deficit in three years as President Bush did in eight. Under President Obama, the federal government has run trillion-dollar or higher budget deficits annually. Ultimately, our generation will foot the bill for this failed spending spree.

The national debt matters because as it increases, it creates more economic uncertainty and reduces our ability to fund responses to unexpected crises. Increased borrowing will also result in a reduction of private investment in public capital, according to CBO. Over time, interest payments on the debt will also increase and that money could have been put to better use elsewhere.

President Obama has forcefully advocated a raise in taxes for high-income earners as the solution to our deficit problems. It isn’t. As Republicans, we believe that the individual, not the government, knows the best use for their money and Americans should keep more of what they are earning.

The tax hike President Obama proposes would generate approximately $700 billion in revenue over the next decade. That would fund the federal budget for just one week at current spending levels, and would barely make a dent in the projected deficit.

President Obama and Congressional Democrats have failed to address the debt issue or control spending. Republicans, meanwhile, understand that spending is the real problem and that cuts have to occur. Even if we did raise taxes like President Obama suggests, there simply aren’t enough wealthy people to balance the budget that way. The longer we delay cutting spending, the harder it will be. Our credit rating was already downgraded last summer because the government failed to adequately reduce spending.

As the College Republicans, we recognize that our generation will feel the effects of the Democrats’ poor fiscal decisions. We will have to pay off the debt while receiving reduced, if any, Social Security and Medicare benefits.

In November, we can elect Democrats, continue spending irresponsibly and pretend that the debt is not a problem. That’s not hope and change, it’s the status quo.

On the other hand, we can vote for a Republican and elect a candidate that will reduce federal spending, reform entitlement programs and restore fiscal sanity to Washington. The choice is clear.

Elizabeth Fleischhauer is a former president of the  UM College Republicans. She is a senior majoring in architecture.

About Author

elizabethfleischhauer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Obama fails to control spending”

1. Elizabeth Fleischhauer says:

Non-defense discretionary spending under Obama has increased 20%. When you include the stimulus package, that rises to 44%. The CBO estimates that the stimulus created 3.6 million jobs, and that’s the high estimation. Independent estimates are in the 2 million range. The stimulus was roughly $800 billion, so that works out to hundreds of thousands of dollars per job. It would’ve been cheaper for the government to just pay the salary for those jobs directly. In other terms, the stimulus cost more than a decade’s worth of proposed tax increases on the wealthy. It was also supposed to keep unemployment below 8%, and the job growth we’re seeing now is barely enough to absorb new employees entering the workforce. At this rate, unemployment won’t reach normal levels until the middle of the decade. Was it worth adding so much money to our deficit for those results? I would argue no.

2. Jordan Lewis says:

Which fiscal policies created the debt? It was Bush’s wars, the Medicare Part D plan, and the Bush tax cuts, not any of Obama’s policies. The only major spending by Obama was on the stimulus, which was necessary to get out of the recession. We’ve since seen 22 months of job growth.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...