Obama fails to control spending

Three years ago last week, Barack Obama was sworn into office as the 44th President of the United States on promises of hope and change. For the 2012 election, his campaign has chosen, “We can’t wait,” as its central theme.

We completely agree with President Obama: We can’t wait to elect a Republican this year, and we can’t afford not to.

When President Bush left office, the national debt was $10.6 trillion; now it’s $15.2 trillion. President Obama has contributed almost as much to the deficit in three years as President Bush did in eight. Under President Obama, the federal government has run trillion-dollar or higher budget deficits annually. Ultimately, our generation will foot the bill for this failed spending spree.

The national debt matters because as it increases, it creates more economic uncertainty and reduces our ability to fund responses to unexpected crises. Increased borrowing will also result in a reduction of private investment in public capital, according to CBO. Over time, interest payments on the debt will also increase and that money could have been put to better use elsewhere.

President Obama has forcefully advocated a raise in taxes for high-income earners as the solution to our deficit problems. It isn’t. As Republicans, we believe that the individual, not the government, knows the best use for their money and Americans should keep more of what they are earning.

The tax hike President Obama proposes would generate approximately $700 billion in revenue over the next decade. That would fund the federal budget for just one week at current spending levels, and would barely make a dent in the projected deficit.

President Obama and Congressional Democrats have failed to address the debt issue or control spending. Republicans, meanwhile, understand that spending is the real problem and that cuts have to occur. Even if we did raise taxes like President Obama suggests, there simply aren’t enough wealthy people to balance the budget that way. The longer we delay cutting spending, the harder it will be. Our credit rating was already downgraded last summer because the government failed to adequately reduce spending.

As the College Republicans, we recognize that our generation will feel the effects of the Democrats’ poor fiscal decisions. We will have to pay off the debt while receiving reduced, if any, Social Security and Medicare benefits.

In November, we can elect Democrats, continue spending irresponsibly and pretend that the debt is not a problem. That’s not hope and change, it’s the status quo.

On the other hand, we can vote for a Republican and elect a candidate that will reduce federal spending, reform entitlement programs and restore fiscal sanity to Washington. The choice is clear.

Elizabeth Fleischhauer is a former president of the  UM College Republicans. She is a senior majoring in architecture.

elizabethfleischhauer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Obama fails to control spending”

1. Elizabeth Fleischhauer says:

Non-defense discretionary spending under Obama has increased 20%. When you include the stimulus package, that rises to 44%. The CBO estimates that the stimulus created 3.6 million jobs, and that’s the high estimation. Independent estimates are in the 2 million range. The stimulus was roughly $800 billion, so that works out to hundreds of thousands of dollars per job. It would’ve been cheaper for the government to just pay the salary for those jobs directly. In other terms, the stimulus cost more than a decade’s worth of proposed tax increases on the wealthy. It was also supposed to keep unemployment below 8%, and the job growth we’re seeing now is barely enough to absorb new employees entering the workforce. At this rate, unemployment won’t reach normal levels until the middle of the decade. Was it worth adding so much money to our deficit for those results? I would argue no.

2. Jordan Lewis says:

Which fiscal policies created the debt? It was Bush’s wars, the Medicare Part D plan, and the Bush tax cuts, not any of Obama’s policies. The only major spending by Obama was on the stimulus, which was necessary to get out of the recession. We’ve since seen 22 months of job growth.

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...