News Briefs 1/26

Meditation classes
Take a break from classes and develop mental clarity through meditation. Lunthita Duthely, a follower of Sri Chinmoy’s teachings, will guide you through the session. It takes place Feb. 3 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. The class is free and open to the public. Reserve your spot by calling the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

Humanities Lecture
The College of Arts & Sciences Center for Humanities present a lecture by Raquel Chang-Rodriguez, “Florida at the Crossroads/Five Hundred Years of Encounters, Conflicts and Exchanges.” Chang-Rodriguez is a distinguished professor of Spanish-American literature and culture, the founding editor of the prize-winning journal Colonial American Review and profesora honoraria at the Universidad Nacional de San Marcos. The event is open to the public and will be followed with a reception. It will take place on Feb. 9 from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Storer Auditorium.

Officials Training
Students who want to become officials for the intramural flag football league must attend training in the Wellness Center classrooms on Feb. 2 from 6 to 9 p.m. Earn cash while working flexible hours. No experience is necessary. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Sameh Shoukry

Sameh Shoukry, Egypt’s ambassador to the United States, will be speaking on February 1 at 5 p.m. at the Bill Cosford Cinema. The lecture is free and open to all UM students and faculty. His presentation will be entitled  “Egypt’s Democracy and Arab Spring” and will be followed by an interview with Bradford R. McGuinn, a professor in the Department of Political Science and an expert on Middle Eastern Studies.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...