Basketball, Sports

Down two starters, Canes dominate Virginia Tech

Junior Shanel Williams evades a player as she dribbles the ball down court. Zach Beeker//The Miami Hurricane

The 11th-ranked women’s basketball team, which returned home Monday after two conference road wins that came down to the final possession, won in more conventional fashion, crushing Virginia Tech 79-48.

Coach Katie Meier’s defense handled the Hokies, the lowest-scoring team in the ACC, holding them to a dismal 27 percent from the floor while forcing 22 turnovers.

“I thought it was just one of our best team games of the year,” Meier said.

The Canes (17-3, 6-1 ACC) demoralized the Hokies (6-14, 2-5 ACC) from the opening tip, starting the game on a 15-1 run ignited by preseason All-American Shenise Johnson.

Johnson finished the night with 18 points, four rebounds, four assists and six steals in another one of her trademark all-around games.

Stefanie Yderstrom shot 4-of-6 on 3-pointers and 7-of-10 overall to lead Miami in scoring and establish a new career high of 22 points.

“I’m just happy we won and how we won – as a team,” Yderstrom said. “I feel like I had some open shots and I made them today.”

Meier was able to empty out her bench in the blowout victory. All 12 active Canes saw time on the floor Monday, including freshman forward Tyler Hobgood, who scored her first two career ACC points.

Riquna Williams, the team’s second-leading scorer, only saw 10 minutes of action and went 0-for-2 on the field, scoring four points on free throws.

Meier cited “family issues” as the reason Williams didn’t start Monday. She had been spending time away from the team. Meier was reluctant to delve into matters too much regarding Williams during the post-game press conference.

Morgan Stroman, third on the team in scoring and second in rebounding, will be out for the rest of the season after surgery on her Achilles Tuesday. She injured it in last Thursday’s win at Virginia.

“It was strange and we definitely do miss [Stroman], but she’s not gone,” Johnson said. “She’s still in our ears, still in spirit. So she’s still around, she brings energy for us.”

On the impact the loss of Stroman will have on the Miami front line, Meier said: “We lose a lot of our length, but we’re going with a little bit more of a power set sometimes. When we go in you’re going to feel it.”

Stroman’s absence, along with Williams’, against Virginia Tech snapped Miami’s streak of 52 consecutive games with the same starting five of Johnson, Williams, Stroman, Yderstrom and Sylvia Bullock.

Krystal Saunders and Shawnice Wilson earned their first starts in place of Stroman and Williams.

Meier was pleased with the way the lineup was able to click despite being down two of its five regular starters.

Virginia Tech, after winning its first two in ACC play, has now dropped five in a row.

The Hurricanes, now winners of 35 straight home games, return to the BankUnited Center Thursday night to face Wake Forest. The game tips off at 7 p.m.

David Furones

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...