Blogs

Oscar nominations released this week, predictions for best picture

So the Oscars are approaching and the nominations will be announced this week. There were many talented actors who shined in great films in 2011: Ryan Gosling in “Ides of March,” Rooney Mara in “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,” Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy in “Bridesmaids,” Emma Stone in “The Help” and Jonah Hill in his first serious film, “Moneyball,” just to name a few. The Academy will most likely nominate 10 of last year’s box office successes. Here are my predictions:

1) “Bridesmaids”

Although the Golden Globes didn’t pay much attention to the brilliant women in this movie, I’m hoping the Academy does. Kristen Wiig’s hilarious performing and incredible writing deserve a few nominations.

2) “The Help”

Emma Stone always plays the awkwardly funny girl. I’m glad she finally stepped out of her comfort zone and tried something different. Also, the movie itself is incredible.

3) “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”

This film’s success is undeniable and it should be acknowledged with a nomination.

4) “The Artist”

A silent film in 2011 … they knew they’d get nominated for an Oscar.

5) “The Descendants”

Although George Clooney and the film itself are overrated, the Academy will most likely nominate both.

6) “Midnight in Paris”

Rachel McAdams and Owen Wilson shared incredible chemistry under Woody Allen’s direction. It was one of the most memorable films of 2011, in my opinion.

7) “Iron Lady”

Meryl Streep. Enough said.

8) “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2”

I’m not a Potterhead myself, but I do have to acknowledge the series’ success. The last chapter of Harry’s adventures should definitely be nominated.

9) “Hugo”

Lots of hoopla over this film. The Academy will probably nominate the 3D adventure.

10) “Drive” or “Ides of March” or “Crazy, Stupid, Love.”

Ryan Gosling had an incredible year and hopefully the Academy realizes they should nominate one of his films. Gosling really showed he could mix it up by starring in an action thriller, a political thriller and a romantic comedy in just one year. Plus, Steve Carell was hysterical in “Crazy, Stupid, Love.”

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...