Study art at the Bass Museum

Photo courtesy bassmuseum.org

Miami Beach’s Bass Museum of Art not only features an array of historical and contemporary collections, but also hosts a weekly art club in which enthusiasts and novices alike meet to discuss all things art.

Every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m., the art club features a different event that helps attendees understand and navigate the art world. At the beginning of each month, Director of Education Adrienne von Lates offers lectures on art history.

“The mission of our art club is to create a fun, social atmosphere where adults can get together and explore art from all periods,” Lates said.

The next set of Thursdays includes contemporary art lectures, free art classes on painting and films about an artist or certain period, according to Kylee Crook, education program manager.

In February, Lates will give a lecture on “Modernist Forms-Political Content,” focusing on humor and the pathetic aesthetic. March will follow with topics like “Creating Mythologies” and “Sex and Desire.”

Free art classes cover mediums like painting and sculpture. Courses range from sculptures in studio mixed media to pop art, and are taught by Andrea Robbins, a Savannah College of Art and Design graduate.

The program is free for all museum guests. Admission to the museum is $8 for general admission, $6 for students and seniors, and free for Miami Beach residents.
Aside from the art club, the Bass Museum contains a historical and contemporary blend of art exhibits, a concert series that recently hosted flamenco dancers, and a children’s creativity center that promotes the arts at an early age.

“In comparison to other museums like the Miami Art Museum and the Museum of Contemporary Art, the Bass is a nice departure from that aesthetic,” said freshman Natasha Mijares, who majored in art.

Located at 2100 Collins Avenue, the Bass Museum is open Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. For more information, visit bassmuseum.org or call 305-673-7530.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...