Staff Editorial 1/23: SOPA threatens Internet rights

On Wednesday, Wikipedia shut down for 24 hours, Google blacked out their label and Reddit went dark, a virtual protest against the possibility of Internet censorship.

Recently, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) have been making its way through Congress.

If passed, SOPA would give government the ability to take down any international website containing unauthorized copyrighted material. U.S. House Representative Lamar Smith introduced the bill last October stating that foreign websites are “stealing our profits, stealing our jobs and endangering Americans,” according to an article in the New York Times.

At the time he presented the bill, Smith had 12 co-sponsors, but no one else seems to be jumping on the SOPA bandwagon. The few proponents for this bill state that SOPA is needed to protect the intellectual property industry and enforce copyright laws. If this bill were to pass, which is a possibility, any foreign website blamed for breaking U.S. law would have 48 hours to appeal the court decision. If not, American companies like Google, Yahoo and PayPal, would have five days to act upon the court order by removing any hyperlinks, advertisements and any payments being processed for the website in question.

PIPA, which is similar to SOPA, was introduced in the House, while SOPA is in the Senate. PIPA was introduced last May by Senator Patrick Leahy and 11 co-sponsors.

Although it is understandable that the government wants to protect businesses and websites from foreign and domestic copyright infringement, debilitating Americans’ basic rights cannot be the solution. In theory, SOPA and PIPA sound efficient, but in reality, the cost of limiting citizens’ rights is not the solution.

Censoring the Internet goes against everything we, as Americans, believe in. If Congress allows this bill to be passed, it will open the door to similar legislation and we may be in North Korea and China’s communist shoes before we know it. The best way to protect businesses is to protect the Internet. The Internet was created to be uncensored, unregulated and free – a modern marketplace of ideas. It promotes communication, economic growth and democracy. And that’s how it should stay.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...