Looking forward to intriguing Olympics

It’s 2012, which means the London Olympics are right around the corner. This will be London’s third time hosting the summer games, which only come around once every four years.

As a Londoner myself, I went home over the break and noticed that the city has been dramatically revamped and improved for the Olympics.

There are going to be athletes from 204 different nations competing in 26 sports. There may even be some University of Miami students competing in the games. No matter where you’re going to be in the world this summer, the Olympic games are a big deal.

Inevitably one of the most talked about and anticipated events to take place in London this year is the men’s 100-meter sprint, where the world eagerly awaits to see if the fastest man alive, Usain Bolt, can top his incredible world record of 9.58 seconds.

More than a million people have requested tickets for the men’s 100-meter final. At the moment, reports claim that it’s going to cost a minimum of 27,000 British pounds, which is equivalent to more than $40,000 for a seat.

It’s safe to say that watching Bolt this summer, as he reportedly attempts to win four gold medals, is going to be an iconic moment that is not to be missed.

The Olympics have been the backdrop for many historic moments over the years, from the 1936 four gold medal win by African-American athlete Jesse Owens in Berlin, to the unforgettable race in 1992 when Derek Redmond’s father ran on to the track to help his son cross the finish line after the British athlete tore his hamstring.

As the Olympics approach, I eagerly await July 2012 and hope that London will live up to its expectations.

Emma Bowman is a sophomore  majoring in mathematics. 

Emma Bowman

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...