Grand Central Park opens, becomes latest addition to Overtown

In the middle of Overtown, the city of Miami is creating Grand Central Park, where numerous trees have been planted to help improve the aesthetics of the area. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Grand Central Park has come to Overtown, giving the area a new, open space that will provide a safer, welcoming environment.

It is the neighborhood’s first ever “instant park,” part of a phenomenon cropping up all over the country. Construction for the park began last October, a remarkably short time frame for park construction.

Just across from Grand Central, Miami’s popular live-music nightclub, the park is expected to provide the Downtown and Overtown neighborhoods a greater sense of community, while promising a pedestrian-friendly area.

“It really is just about activity and people using it and coming back there,” said Brad Knoefler, the owner of Grand Central and founder of the park. “There was no reason to come back there before and now there is one.”

The ribbon-cutting ceremony on Friday marked the beginning of what many hope to be the revitalization of the nearby, once decaying Overtown community.

Last January, the Miami Community Redevelopment Agency awarded $200,000 to the Omni Parkwest Redevelopment Association (OPRA), the group primarily responsible for the park’s fruition, allowing construction on the park to begin last October.

Since then, the open space has been rapidly transformed from the debris-filled area that once home to the Miami Arena, into a biological hub covered in native South Florida plants. Also, several features like rainwater ponds will be installed in the near future.

“This is a concrete example of what happens in Miami when local government works together with the community,” said  Knoefler, who is also the president of OPRA.

The park, however, is meant to be temporary with a 36-month contract.

The park’s opening last week featured a live performance by Miami-based group Elastic Bond and music from local DJs. Families and city residents received free admission and were able to dine from nearby food trucks.

On Feb. 18, the park will host its first event, the Budweiser One Love Nutrifest, celebrating music and environmental sustainability. It will also be home to bike-in movie screenings, farmers markets and other public events.

“Grand Central Park is bringing activity and jobs to the neighborhood,” said Mark Lesniak, executive director of OPRA, in a statement. “Providing long desired green space to Overtown and Park West can only make Miami’s downtown islands into a community.”

The park is open daily from 8 a.m. to dusk.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...