Sports, Tennis

Canes beat Rattlers with strong singles

Gabriel Flores, sophomore, plays a game of doubles. Zach Beeker//The Miami Hurricane

The University of Miami men’s tennis team finished its first homestand of the spring season with a last-minute, 4-3 victory over Florida A&M.

Strong singles play from freshman Wilfredo Gonzalez and sophomore Diego Soto secured the UM victory in the final matches.

“I’m very proud of the guys, getting through such a hard-fought match,” head coach Mario Rincon said. “They showed a lot of poise at the end of that victory.”

The Hurricanes earned their first point with a decisive 8-1 doubles win from the sophomore tandem of Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto.  The Rattlers answered with two tough doubles wins to take the 2-1 lead entering singles play.

Quick two-set wins from senior Santiago Nieto (6-1, 6-1) and junior Victor Mauz (6-3, 6-2) fueled Miami’s intensity and confidence.

“In a hard game like this one, it’s important to win quick to get your teammates pumped up,” Mauz said. “We needed these quick matches in singles after we lost those doubles.”

FAMU’s Temuera Asafu-Adjaye was too much for Miami junior Marco Stancati, and he earned the 3-2 lead for the Rattlers in two sets, 6-4. 6-2.

Any chance for a Hurricane win hinged on the second and third singles matches featuring Gonzalez and Soto.  Gonzalez maintained composure throughout an important match against FAMU’s Takura Happy and prevailed in two sets, 6-2, 7-5, to tie the score at 3-3.

Sophomore Diego Soto clinched the victory for the Canes with a come-from-behind first set.  Trailing in his first set, Soto rallied for the 7-5 win over Levan Clark and carried his momentum through to his 6-2 set and match win.

“In the beginning it was tough, I was decentralized,” Soto said. “But I knew the team needed my match, that was a huge motivation for me. You feel so much pressure, the work of everybody, from players to coaches to trainers, and in that moment, it’s all on you. You have to think not about the wins, but just to do your best.”

The Canes now turn their attention to the future.  Up next for the UM men is the ITA Kick-Off Weekend tournament in Gainesville, Fla., Jan. 28-29.

“We will face Wake Forest next, a good squad.  We have to play our best,” Rincon said. “We’ve learned a lot so far and will continue to improve with a lot of work, especially in doubles.”

Kristen Spillane

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...