News Briefs 1/19

MLK Day of Service and Film

The United Black Students will host a day of service commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the lower lounge of the University Center.

On Tuesday at the Cosford Cinema, UBS will also present a documentary on Dr. King Jr. titled “Separate, But Equal.” A Q&A with the director and producer will follow the screening. For more information, email unitedblackstudentsum@gmail.com or call 305 284-2583.

Cycling and Yoga

From Saturday to Jan. 27, classes on studio cycling and yoga will be scheduled for free. Try the course before purchasing a semester pass. Entrance to the classes is on a first-come, first-serve basis with priority given to current cardholders.

The classes will be held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Wellness Center. For membership information and class schedules, visit the Wellness Suite or call 305-284-5433.

Opera

On Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m., the Frost Opera Theater will present a musical program featuring vocal students from the Frost School of Music. They will perform in the Bonnet House Museum and Gardens in Ft. Lauderdale. Individual tickets cost $35 to 45, and series tickets are $120 to 160. For tickets and information, call 954 563-5393, extension 124.

Officials Training

From Tuesday to Jan. 26 at 6 p.m., training sessions to officiate the basketball intramural games will be held in the Wellness Center classrooms. The job is paid and the hours are flexible. For more information, call  the assistant director of intramurals Tom Soria at 305-284-8518 or email intramurals@miami.edu.

Involvement fair

On Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Spring Involvement Fair will take place on the university green.

Sponsored by Student Activities, the Committee on Student Organizations and the Butler Center, the fair will feature student organizations and departments. Organizations should register in advance to display themselves on this day.

For more information, email Involvement Coordinator Bibi Yasmin Moghani at coso_involvement@miami.edu.

Food Trucks

Hurricane Productions and Canes Night Live will host a gourmet food truck night on Friday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. There will be free food vouchers for the first 250 students.

At the Rock, students can play various XBOX Kinect, Wii and PS3 games, including Mario Kart, Dance Central and Rockband. Attendees can also enter a tournament for a chance to win Rathskeller gift cards. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org.

Nimmer Lecture

Professor Nimmer will discuss the United States’ Supreme Court’s invention of the “first-sale” rule and how digital distribution will affect this ruling on Thursday in the Gusman Concert Hall at 5 p.m.

He has been quoted in more than 2,700 judicial opinions and many references of “Nimmer on Copyright” appear in Supreme Court cases. He has represented clients in fields from entertainment to publishing. Nimmer currently teaches at UCLA Law School.

Workout Rewards

The Wellness Center is partnering with FitCampus.com, a program that rewards students for completing workouts at the Wellness Center from Feb. 6 to March 4, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

By recording exercises online, prizes such as gift cards, iPads and cruises can be won. Students must workout for two hours and 30 minutes per week during the four-week program to win the grand prize in a series of weekly drawings.

Smaller prizes will be awarded each week to reward students for reaching goals. For more information, visit FitCampus.com.

Judaic Studies

On Thursday, at 8 p.m. at the Miller Center Auditorium, the Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies will feature a lecture by Adam Chalom, rabbi at Kol Hadash Humanistic Congregation and dean for North America at the International Institute for Secular Humanistic Judaism.

Admission for the lecture, “Beyond Apikorsut: A Judaism for Secular Jews,” is free and open to the public. RSVP to ccjs@miami.edu or call 305-284-6882.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at agonzalez@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...