Sports Briefs 1/19

Football

The University of Miami football team announced on Tuesday that seven student-athletes had enrolled early for the spring semester and were eligible to begin practicing with the team. The enrolees include quarterbacks Gray Crow and Preston Dewey, offensive linemen Ereck Flowers and Taylor Gadbois, linebackers Raphael Kirby and Josh Witt, and defensive back Ladarius Gunter. The team is set to kick off its spring schedule on March 3, when the Canes will hold their first practice.

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team wrapped up play at the Eagle Invite hosted by Florida Atlantic University on Monday, enjoying what turned out to be a successful weekend for the Hurricanes. The team had all six of its singles players compete in championship matches, winning three titles and coming away with three second-place finishes.

Of the three wins, senior Gabriela Mejia won her third straight match at the tournament, defeating teammate Anna Bartenstein. Melissa Bolivar and Lina Lileikite also recorded wins. The Canes will have an exhibition against Barry on Saturday before the regular season resumes.

Track and Field

The men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in their first indoor tournament of the season this past weekend, coming away with two individual titles. Senior Devon Hill won the 60-meter hurdle, and senior Tarika Williams earned the win in the 60-meter dash. Williams recorded a personal best in the event, finishing with a time of 7.3 seconds. Miami will be back in action at the Birmingham Invitational in Alabama on Jan. 26.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com. Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...