Sports Briefs 1/19

Football

The University of Miami football team announced on Tuesday that seven student-athletes had enrolled early for the spring semester and were eligible to begin practicing with the team. The enrolees include quarterbacks Gray Crow and Preston Dewey, offensive linemen Ereck Flowers and Taylor Gadbois, linebackers Raphael Kirby and Josh Witt, and defensive back Ladarius Gunter. The team is set to kick off its spring schedule on March 3, when the Canes will hold their first practice.

Women’s Tennis

The University of Miami women’s tennis team wrapped up play at the Eagle Invite hosted by Florida Atlantic University on Monday, enjoying what turned out to be a successful weekend for the Hurricanes. The team had all six of its singles players compete in championship matches, winning three titles and coming away with three second-place finishes.

Of the three wins, senior Gabriela Mejia won her third straight match at the tournament, defeating teammate Anna Bartenstein. Melissa Bolivar and Lina Lileikite also recorded wins. The Canes will have an exhibition against Barry on Saturday before the regular season resumes.

Track and Field

The men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in their first indoor tournament of the season this past weekend, coming away with two individual titles. Senior Devon Hill won the 60-meter hurdle, and senior Tarika Williams earned the win in the 60-meter dash. Williams recorded a personal best in the event, finishing with a time of 7.3 seconds. Miami will be back in action at the Birmingham Invitational in Alabama on Jan. 26.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com. Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor