New year to bring new resolutions

This is a new year, which means new beginnings, new classes, new relationships and new memories.  We take the memories that are stashed in the deep channels of our brains and replace them with fresh, relevant ones.  It’s strange, isn’t it?

I think resolutions are tacky. Jan. 1 is usually synonymous with a horrible hangover.

We think about how great the prior night was and often remain in bed with sweatpants on for the entire day swearing that 2012 will be the year that we will fit into old jeans, stop smoking cigarettes, bring our GPA up and save money.

There is no sufficient explanation as to why the appropriate commencement of these journeys is on the same day that we consider Tylenol and Gatorade our lifeline, but every year it happens: we begin our vain, materialistic journeys that often lead to hollow goals. What are we looking for?

This year, I am making a tacky resolution – a resolution to have more care for people. I am making a resolution to remember names, be friendlier, open my eyes to the people around me, return phone calls and make eye contact instead of reading text messages.

After graduation, I want to remember whom I went to certain concerts with rather than what I wore to them. Think of people you love and why you love them.

For me, it’s because they know what makes me laugh, they drop everything to help me when I need it, and they remember pointless side notes about me like my intricate, annoying coffee order and tendency to lose shoes.

We love people because they are good to us, because they care, because they pay attention. We shouldn’t project our love onto things. This year, I prioritize people.

Nicole Spiteri is a junior majoring in health science on the pre-med track.

Nicole Spiteri

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...