Program allows submission of anonymous tips to police

With the help of a new program called TIPSOFT, anyone can send anonymous tips via text message or online to the Coral Gables Police Department.

As the first municipality in Miami-Dade County to offer this program, the department can now respond to residents who send a text message to “CRIMES” (274637) with the keyword “GABLES” from a mobile phone.

There is also a free application, TipSubmit, for iPhone and Android users.

“If you have some sort of information about drug activity or something suspicious, you can put the city where you are in, and the phone will verify where you are at and will tell you the closest agencies,” said communications operator Nicole Puig, who is in charge of the TIPSOFT program. “It will give you classifications such as homicide, drugs and burglary.”

Citizens are given a unique login ID online to ensure tips remain anonymous and are offered the option of uploading a photo with their submissions. The one-and-a-half-month-old program was introduced by a lieutenant who attended a software meeting about various 911 texting programs.

“He talked to different administrators and got feedback,” Puig said. “They really liked it.”

The police force decided to adopt the program after receiving mostly positive reviews from other users.

The NYPD, LAPD, Department of Homeland Security and more than 600 other institutions use TIPSOFT, which was created by the company CrimeReports. The City of Coral Gables is hoping this initiative will prevent, reduce and solve crime, according to a press release. Citizens are urged to report non-urgent activities such as vandalism, theft, the sale of drugs and unsolved cases.

“We haven’t been receiving a lot of tips yet since it is new,” Puig said.

Some students hope this will reduce crime on campus.

“I think it would be helpful to campus life because people wouldn’t be as afraid to give the tips since it is anonymous,” freshman Taylor Lombardi said.

Junior Kim Blum feels that the system removes the stigma of reporting an incident to the police.

“It makes me feel safer that we have this system,” Blum said. “More people might report things because they are less scared of being a tattle-tale. I would use it if I felt like there was something that needed to be reported.”

However, Blum does not understand the reason for introducing the program.

“I feel pretty safe already, so I don’t know if we really need that much change,” she said.

Jackie Salo

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...