Fast pace masks forgettable plot in ‘Contraband’

Courtesy filmofilia.com

Despite “Contraband’s” lackluster plot, the fast-paced thriller manages to keep you on the edge of your seat for 110 minutes.

Directed by Baltasar Kormakur, “Contraband” is a remake of the Icelandic film “Reykjavik-Rotterdam,” which starred Kormakur. The film focuses on ex-smuggler Chris Farraday, who is played by Oscar-nominated actor Mark Wahlberg. After his brother-in-law doesn’t follow through with a drug deal, Farraday has to find a way to repay the drug lord who has turned to threatening his family.

Although he has abandoned his life of crime, Farraday must make a trip to Panama to collect counterfeit bills to pay the debt.

While it is not as impressive as his portrayal of Micky Ward in “The Fighter,” Wahlberg’s performance emanates wit, intelligence and authority. Wahlberg and his co-star Ben Foster, who plays Farraday’s best friend, outshine the rest of the cast. Their friendship is one of the plot’s most compelling elements with its drastic changes throughout the film.

Although the heist film almost feels rushed at times, the hasty pace allows the audience to accept the plot’s absurd twists and turns. It doesn’t give you enough time to analyze what exactly is going on, so you end up thinking the movie is better than it actually is.

Overall, the film delivers several unexpected twists that will leave you feeling like you got your money’s worth. Although “Contraband” is entertaining and worth your time, 2012 will definitely see better action movies.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...