Fast pace masks forgettable plot in ‘Contraband’

Courtesy filmofilia.com

Despite “Contraband’s” lackluster plot, the fast-paced thriller manages to keep you on the edge of your seat for 110 minutes.

Directed by Baltasar Kormakur, “Contraband” is a remake of the Icelandic film “Reykjavik-Rotterdam,” which starred Kormakur. The film focuses on ex-smuggler Chris Farraday, who is played by Oscar-nominated actor Mark Wahlberg. After his brother-in-law doesn’t follow through with a drug deal, Farraday has to find a way to repay the drug lord who has turned to threatening his family.

Although he has abandoned his life of crime, Farraday must make a trip to Panama to collect counterfeit bills to pay the debt.

While it is not as impressive as his portrayal of Micky Ward in “The Fighter,” Wahlberg’s performance emanates wit, intelligence and authority. Wahlberg and his co-star Ben Foster, who plays Farraday’s best friend, outshine the rest of the cast. Their friendship is one of the plot’s most compelling elements with its drastic changes throughout the film.

Although the heist film almost feels rushed at times, the hasty pace allows the audience to accept the plot’s absurd twists and turns. It doesn’t give you enough time to analyze what exactly is going on, so you end up thinking the movie is better than it actually is.

Overall, the film delivers several unexpected twists that will leave you feeling like you got your money’s worth. Although “Contraband” is entertaining and worth your time, 2012 will definitely see better action movies.

About Author

Stephanie Parra Editor-in-chief

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

Briadam Herrera continued his sparkling postseason run Friday at the IU Natatorium, finishing as the ...

The Hurricanes will welcome a talented field of teams to Cobb Stadium for the second of three home m ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team fell to Boston College, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Flynn ...

The Miami Hurricanes dropped their series opener to No. 8 North Carolina Friday afternoon at Boshame ...