Fast pace masks forgettable plot in ‘Contraband’

Courtesy filmofilia.com

Despite “Contraband’s” lackluster plot, the fast-paced thriller manages to keep you on the edge of your seat for 110 minutes.

Directed by Baltasar Kormakur, “Contraband” is a remake of the Icelandic film “Reykjavik-Rotterdam,” which starred Kormakur. The film focuses on ex-smuggler Chris Farraday, who is played by Oscar-nominated actor Mark Wahlberg. After his brother-in-law doesn’t follow through with a drug deal, Farraday has to find a way to repay the drug lord who has turned to threatening his family.

Although he has abandoned his life of crime, Farraday must make a trip to Panama to collect counterfeit bills to pay the debt.

While it is not as impressive as his portrayal of Micky Ward in “The Fighter,” Wahlberg’s performance emanates wit, intelligence and authority. Wahlberg and his co-star Ben Foster, who plays Farraday’s best friend, outshine the rest of the cast. Their friendship is one of the plot’s most compelling elements with its drastic changes throughout the film.

Although the heist film almost feels rushed at times, the hasty pace allows the audience to accept the plot’s absurd twists and turns. It doesn’t give you enough time to analyze what exactly is going on, so you end up thinking the movie is better than it actually is.

Overall, the film delivers several unexpected twists that will leave you feeling like you got your money’s worth. Although “Contraband” is entertaining and worth your time, 2012 will definitely see better action movies.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...