News Brief

Diabetes research

The Diabetes Research Institute (DRI) at the University of Miami is working on a variety of strategies to cure diabetes that researchers feel are promising.

The disease is caused by the body’s inability to create or use its own insulin, which helps regulate the body’s blood-sugar levels. There are two types of diabetes. Type 1 occurs when a person’s cells do not absorb insulin. Type 2 occurs when a person’s body does not respond to insulin.

Insulin is produced by islet cells, so one strategy the researchers are looking into is a clinical research trial for islet cell transplants. Dr. Camillo Ricordi, director of the DRI, and Dr. Jay Skyler, deputy director of the DRI, are researchers in the study.

This process transfers islets from the pancreas of a deceased organ donor to a patient with Type 1 diabetes. Once implanted, researchers hope the beta cells in these islets will allow the pancreas to function normally. If this is the case, those with Type 1 diabetes would have no need for daily insulin injections.

Researchers note that it is difficult to find donors who have useful pancreases. The donors typically must have died unnaturally as opposed to disease.

Another method researchers are looking at is working on getting other cells to function as pancreas cells. This method is known as tissue coaxing.

If these practices are successful, there would be a high demand for these transplants. Currently, there are 26 million Americans who currently suffer from diabetes. The supply of cells would not be sufficient to treat that high of a number of cases.

Jackie Salo may be contacted at jsalo@themiamihurricane.com.

Jackie Salo

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...