News Brief

Diabetes research

The Diabetes Research Institute (DRI) at the University of Miami is working on a variety of strategies to cure diabetes that researchers feel are promising.

The disease is caused by the body’s inability to create or use its own insulin, which helps regulate the body’s blood-sugar levels. There are two types of diabetes. Type 1 occurs when a person’s cells do not absorb insulin. Type 2 occurs when a person’s body does not respond to insulin.

Insulin is produced by islet cells, so one strategy the researchers are looking into is a clinical research trial for islet cell transplants. Dr. Camillo Ricordi, director of the DRI, and Dr. Jay Skyler, deputy director of the DRI, are researchers in the study.

This process transfers islets from the pancreas of a deceased organ donor to a patient with Type 1 diabetes. Once implanted, researchers hope the beta cells in these islets will allow the pancreas to function normally. If this is the case, those with Type 1 diabetes would have no need for daily insulin injections.

Researchers note that it is difficult to find donors who have useful pancreases. The donors typically must have died unnaturally as opposed to disease.

Another method researchers are looking at is working on getting other cells to function as pancreas cells. This method is known as tissue coaxing.

If these practices are successful, there would be a high demand for these transplants. Currently, there are 26 million Americans who currently suffer from diabetes. The supply of cells would not be sufficient to treat that high of a number of cases.

Jackie Salo may be contacted at jsalo@themiamihurricane.com.

Jackie Salo

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...