Art Basel Miami Beach on a student budget

Graffiti artist, Fernando Romero, 33, works on a mural during Israel at Heart on Wednesday. Romero and his partner, Mike Baca, 27, have been painting together since 2006, and have created their own trade, UR, Urban Revolution, and they are exhibiting at Art Basel for the fifth year in a row. Baca does other mediums, including sculpting, but he always goes back to spratpaint, “It’s like an extention of my arm, you know?” says Romero. Their opening reception is December 1st, at Pop International Galleries, 2412 N Miami Ave, rsvp at rsvp@urnewyork.com. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

The spotlight is officially shining brightly on Miami. For weeks, the city has been buzzing in anticipation of the 10th edition of Art Basel Miami Beach, running through Sunday. Crowds of editors, collectors, gallery owners, socialites, celebrities, designers, artists and other creative types have poured into what is currently the most talked about destination on the planet. Though Art Basel is known for its ultra exclusive, invitation-only soirees, there are hundreds (literally) of cheap, college-friendly happenings all across town. Here’s a list of affordable art-filled affairs you won’t want to miss.

The Main Fair

Art Basel’s headquarters are stationed at the Miami Beach Convention Center, where thousands of art works by contemporary artists, old and new, will be showcased in a maze of exhibits.
The fair runs Friday to Saturday from noon to 8 p.m., and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m. Tickets are $23 for students. For more information, visit artbaselmiamibeach.com.

Art Public
Head to Collins Park in Miami Beach, where the Bass Museum of Art has helped transform the oceanfront park into an outdoor gallery with 24 public sculptures and performances that will adorn the area around the clock. Then walk a few steps over to the Bass for its latest exhibition, Erwin Wurm: Beauty Business, which will encourage you to explore balance and space.
The event is located at Art Public at Collins Park. It’s free and open 24 hours, Friday through Sunday. The Bass Museum of Art is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday through Sunday. Tickets are $6 for students. For more information, visit bassmuseum.org.

MOCA/SPIN Galactic Party
Party, ping-pong, a pool and rum. Enough said. The Museum of Contemporary Art, SPIN Galactic and The Standard Hotel are hosting what is promised to be a fun, game-centered night of sultry drinks and good vibrations. A ping-pong competition will be take place at Miami Beach’s Standard Hotel on Saturday from 9 p.m. to midnight.
It’s free for all. However, it’s $20 to enter the tournament. Attendees must be at least 21. RSVP at mocanomi.org.

Miami Modern (MiMo) Chalk-In Festival
Don’t miss the largest chalk mural at Legion Park in the MiMo Historic District near Midtown. The colorful mural, created by all visitors, will be accompanied by live music, street theatre, jugglers, stilt walkers, food and art.
Check it out on Sunday from noon to 6 p.m. The event is free. For more information, visit mimoartinthepark.com.

Check out 80 international galleries all under one roof at the SCOPE Pavilion in Wynwood.
Tickets are $15 for students. It runs Thursday to Saturday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. For more information visit scope-art.com.

Wynwood will be home to the best Art Walk of the year. In addition to the open galleries and outdoor murals, The Miami New Times’ food blog, “Short Order,” will bring out 30 food trucks. The streets will also be filled with vintage clothes and live music.
It will be located at 2200 NW 2nd Ave. on Saturday from 6 p.m. to midnight. For more information, visit miaminewtimes.com.

Mr. Brainwash
Last year, art patrons sat next to Homer Simpson and walked among “Star Wars” Stormtroopers. This year, the Mr. Brainwash exhibit is back for one of the most visually entertaining pop-art installations across town. The free event will run from Thursday to Sunday at Boulan South Beach.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

Human Rights Watch says the government’s denial of the crisis worsens the suffering of its people. ...

Kevin Arreaga set a school record as the University of Miami track and field program opened its 2018 ...

Miami put the tying run on base in the ninth inning, but fell to host No. 23 Duke, 4-3... ...

Despite a promising start and a strong finish, the University of Miami women's tennis team fell ...

The Hurricanes fell in dramatic fashion to Loyola Chicago in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. ...

The University of Miami rowing team will open its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invit ...